News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 Lasalle What is it worth

Started by Mark Serfass, May 10, 2005, 10:03:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Serfass

I have a chance to buy a 1937 lasalle 4 door 73,000 miles nice orignal paint, very nice orignal interior still has orignal seat covers on them. Overall a great orignal untouched car. It has been sitting in a nice garage for about 15 years but the engine is free and I beleive with the tank cleaned out and fresh gas it should start right up. I am just not sure what the car is worth now or when it is on the road. I can do all the work myself. Any advise is appreciated.  Mark

Mark Serfass

JIM CLC # 15000

05-11-05
Mark, before anyone can give you a "wag", you should post more information, etc, body style, color, condition of car and so-forth. Then maybe someone would hazard a guess.
Good Luck, Jim

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Mark,

While it is true that no-one can tell you what a particular old car is worth without a careful inspection, I recommend you look at the Old Cars Price Guide to get a "ballpark" idea of what the car is worth.  The value will vary greatly depending on condition, but the Price Guide includes a page to help you assess the condition of the car you are looking at (based on six different levels, which the Price Guide explains).  The Old Cars Price Guide is generally available on newsstands or on-line, or perhaps one of your hobbyist friends already subscribes to it.  

Another approach is to contact members of the LaSalle Appreciation Society, a chapter within the CLC devoted exclusively to the LaSalle.  Probably some of the members of that chapter have bought and sold LaSalle sedans very similar to the one you are considering.

Hope this information is useful, and good luck in pursuing the LaSalle.  

By the way, if you wind up as a LaSalle owner, you will want to acquire a copy of the LaSalle book that is available on the CLC website.  It is an outstanding book, and contains a wealth of information about every year and model of the LaSalle.

Richard

Bill Sullivan

Mark:

I will take a WAG at this car, based on your limited description:  $4000 to $10,000 , depending on condition.

The 37 is one of the more attractive LaSalles, and it has the flathead V-8, probably a bit nicer engine than the straight eight in the previous year.  The car has a floor shift, and that was the last year for that.  It has one of the most attractive dashes of any of the LaSalles.  Big, round speedo and clock, very neat.  Later years were not nearly so nice.

The four door model is the most common and worth much less than a coupe or convert.  Rust makes a big difference, just a little bit of rust is very costly to deal with.  Cars of this era tend to rust around the trunk, floor and rear quarters pretty badly.

The 37 has a lot of stainless trim and it is all very difficult to find.  If all the trim is there and in great shape, that is worth a premium.

These cars drive beautifully and the drive train is very tough and durable.  But that is true of most LaSalles.  

Go for it!  These cars are a great value and not too expensive or difficult to restore.

Bill.