News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1938 V16 Oil Smoking

Started by James E., May 11, 2005, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E.

I have an oil smoking problem with my rebuilt 1938 Cadillac v16 flathead.  The block was bored .030 over.  All clearances are to factory specs and was done with meticulous workmanship.  Anyone with this problem?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday James,

One question.   Was the engine Run-in correctly?

Please dont jump up and down as I am sure it would have been, but it sounds like you might be experiencing a glazing of the bores.

It is imperative that the Cam and followers must be run in first, then the rings receive the proper bedding-in.

Some people tend to treat a new or rebuilt engine with kid gloves, but that is the worst thing that can be done.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

James E.

Thanks for the reply.  Weve only run the engine in the shop for a half hour and varied the rpm.  We have a fair amount of smoke.

JIM CLC # 15000

05-11-05
James, I think Bruce is correct, its not broken-in yet.
The brake-in instructions I got with a set of rings once, reccomened that the engine be varied in speed for the first 500 miles, between 15 and 50 MPH and to do this often.Use full throttle from 15 to 50. Do this several times during the first 500 miles
With that big V16, at 50MPH, you are probably about ready to shift to 2nd gear.
As, Bruce said, dont baby-it, just be sure its full of oil prior to getting it on the road.
What with the .030 rebore,that should not be a cause for oil comsumption. The only other thing it  coud be is valve- guides, but I think it just needs some padel-to-the-metal time on it.
Good luck, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

James,

Did you replace the camshaft and followers?

I wouldnt recommend running it in the shop for too long as it definately required a load on it to bed the rings in.

When I run a new cam and followers in, I fire it up, straight to 2,500 rpm, in the case of a late model V8, and hold it there for up to 20 minutes.   Whilst I am doing that, I check for leaks, water temp, etc, and if necessary do it in 5 to 10 minute sessions, and let it cool down if it is getting too hot.   Never let it idle as the first 10 minutes is a critical time in a camshafts life.

With a V16, I would be checking with the cam manufacturer as to their running-in recommended procedure.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   The car is old enough to smoke, but with a new engine, it is underage.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

With those cars 4.31 rear axle ratio (about what comes standard today in 1-ton pickups), Im certain that 50 MPH in low gear (if its even possible) would seriously over-rev the engine and likely produce catastrophic results.

James E.

Thank you to all who replied.  

Donald Sabourin CLC 20267

James,

Where did you purchase the rebuild kit for you 38 V16?  I am considering rebuilding my 38-9019 and I am having difficultly finding rebuild kit material.  any help would be appreciated!

JIM CLC # 15000

05-22-05
Bruce, I had the CAM rebuilt when I did an overhaul on my 47 Cadillac engine and the only instructions from the re-builder was, dont remove the coating on the cam shaft.
It was a black coating. Appeared to be a spray-on metal of some sort. I know it sure makes the oil black.
I installed the cam without removeing the coating, but dont remember if I ran the engine at a fast speed or not.
Good Luck, Jim