News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Funny" car for sale again

Started by Yann Saunders, May 21, 2005, 04:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yann Saunders

Check out eBay items 4544048555 and 4550594422. These are one and the same car. First it was described as a unique 1959 Motorama show car.  Now it is being touted as "An experiment in future design".  Note also that the "original color", which was blue in the first ad, now is white.

This same vendor had for sale this month  a lovely 1960 Eldorado convertible (items 4543789659 and 4548355958) that sold (?) for $49,999.  Interestingly, the same car is again for sale with a "Buy-it-Now" tag of $5,500 !  Same photos, same description but different seller ID.

Of course I jumped at the opportunity to get another 60 Biarritz for so little money !  Unfortunately, the "Buy-it-Now" feature did not work for me. Hoax?  Try it !

Caveat emptor.

Paul Zanetti

This is an email I sent to luvdog, asking why the build sheet shows different to his claim. His answer was dismissive and boastful, and does not ansewer my legitimate question:

My question:
"Hi, I am trying to authenticate the car you have on ebay. The build sheet shows different original colour to the colour you originally state. I have sought advice from the Cadillac Club at their web page. So far I have had a reply from Yann Saunders. Any photos and documents you supply which can help establich the authenticity of the car will be gratefully accepted. Thanks, Paul"

Luvdogs reply (Marv Friedman - but DOCTOR Friedman to me!):

"The car was originally Blue, the Trim tag also shows Blue...The car is over a million dollars, so unless your a serious collector, like myself with a Museum, I suggest you dont waste your time...or mine. Good luck; Dr. Friedman heres my Museum site http://www.carsfromyesterday.com" TARGET=_blank>www.carsfromyesterday.com"

(Who is he to decide who I am? By the way the cars original build sheet shows white - not blue as he claims. Cant be confident that Marv is a serious collector, or museum owner, if he cant read car build sheets with any knowledge or integrity. His reply indicates that he gets very defensive when his claims are probed or investigated too closely).

Paul

Densie 20352

> Two years ago when I discovered and purchased this incredible Cadillac, I new I had found a lost piece of GM history..even though I knew it would be a costly restoration, I didnt care!

> Today, way over $100,000 later...I am ECSTATIC!

Then why is he selling it?

And is the dash cap supposed to have wrinkled vinyl on it?  I dont know this car, they may have done them that way, but it doesnt look professional.

------------------------------------------------------------

> In doing this restoration, it did not become necessary to remove the body off the frame as this was NOT a rusted car in any sense of the word.

Over $100,000 and they didnt pull the body off?

------------------------------------------------------------

> 4543789659 and 4548355958

Maybe Im just too critical, but is the vinyl supposed to look like that?  In the middle of the front seat, there are wrinkles and dents in it.  On the right door panel at the top, there are also some bad spots.  It looks like new vinyl was put on over the old seat covers, or over foam that was damaged.  ??

Somebody teach me something about buying antiques...were they made that way?  Supposed to be restored that way?

Also, somebody once said that he would be suspicious if the numbers didnt line up on the odometer, which they dont on this one.  Is there anything to that?

-d

Densie 20352

I guess Im more skeptical than most, mainly because I know so little about buying, but...

First of all, where is his museum?  I see lots of links to pictures on his website, but theyre all sales brochures and stuff.  I dont see a museum, just a bunch of cars for sale on Ebay.  And does he own the cars, or consign?

His cars look pretty, but some things really bother me, like the Chevy with 2000 original miles that has been jacked around with lots of aftermarket stuff, gauges with exposed wires, etc.

-d

Yann Saunders, 12588

Would be interesting to do a full scale investigation about this "million dollar" car [thats what LUVDG says he wants for it!].

Dont they have a DMV in Florida.  Or a police force. This car didnt just drop out the sky into "LUVDGs" back yard. It came from somewhere. It has to have a history.  It could not have gone unnoticed by Floridas collectible Cadillac community for 45 years !  

Has no-one figured out the "UC" in the outlet code column of the build sheet?  I think  I ave :  it was a premonitory "Utter Crap" rating by the guys in the shipping department !

Ill bet the previous owner would be kinda p... off to learn that the car he probably sold to "LUVDG" for a couple of grand has materialized into the worlds most mysterious, Harley Earl, MILLION-DOLLAR dream-car-cum-GM experiment-in-future-design !!!

I mean, how much b/s can a single person spew before the TRUTH finally leaks out.

Lets all keep a close eye on this "thing".

Joe Meneghin #22407

Whats the auction # where the 60 convertible was listed for $5,000?

Btw, I saw your picture in the Self starter.  Nice to put a face to your posts.

I saw the e-mail where he wants more than a million for that fraud motorama car.   He needs to be on stronger medication.

Baxter Culver #17184

Remember the words of PT Barnum re: the frequency of "suckers" born into this world!

Joe Meneghin

You would think this clown would kind of get the hint the car is not near worth anything close to what he wants, when it has been listed on ebay several times and never hit more than 15percent of his asking price.

He kind of reminds me of an 20/20 episode I saw a few years ago where an antique dealer was filmed buying an antique crystal for $15 and then sold it to someone else for $600.  When they went back to the shop and announced they had set the shop owner up, the guy went ballistic on camera.  

A "sucker" would pay $200k for that car.  I cant even think of a term for someone stupid enough to pay over $1 million for that car.  Especially considering the fact it seems hes reluctant to discuss the vin code on the car.  

Well, on the bright side, using his asking prices as a guide my rusted to death 60 convertible must now be worth $75k!

You know, if you think about it, since no one seems to have any concrete evidence as to what the vin code was on the car at the auto show, you cant prove the car hes selling was or wasnt the one at the show.  

Dave Smith #17592

You guys are falling right into this guys trap.    Ive met guys like this before.  They have deep pockets, love cars, and love making things that never existed before.  Then they create a fictional story just to play a joke on people.  Harmless if it is done with a wink, but once the fictional story becomes twisted into a fact and people lose money, that is fraud.

This guy is clever.  Probably a very creative guy too.   If this car wasnt forsale, then Id say he is just a practical joker looking for attention.    And in fact, he really still is.  Posting cars for sale on Ebay with a Million Dollar reserve is basically just cheap advertising for his Museum and car lot. Plus he must be getting some kind of perverse satisfaction from driving the Cad/LaSalle guys crazy.

There is an internet word for this guy.  Look up the internet definition of "Troll".   In the business word however, he is stepping on the line of Fraud and had better watch out before some car loving law enforcement type steps in.

Yann Saunders, 12588

If his car WAS at the show, then it had a 59 body and it was white, not blue.