News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

steering box for 1940 60s

Started by Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850, May 22, 2005, 01:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

Hi all,
  If someone with a cross-reference book would be so kind, would you tell me if the steering box used in a 40 60s was used in other G.M. cars?
  Mines really sloppy and Ill have to get it rebuilt if I cant find a good one.
  Thanks,
Bob B.

JIM CLC # 15000

05-22-05
Robert, I know of what you speak, I also have about 6" of "play" at the rim of the steering-wheel.
However, on my 38, NO other "box" will fit.
You are in luck, I dont have my "hollinger" exchange manual with me.
Call the 800 operator and get hollingers 800 phone number.
I called once at their closing time (they are in MI) and the man that answered looked up the exchange parts for me and faxed me the pages. They may also have a "web" page.
If you will be reuiring several parts, they sell books that cover a group of years.

HTH
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. I feel that most any big GM car steering box would fit.Just check the "casting number".
I plan to install a "Rack" in my car, made by RPM Engerneering of Desert Hot Springs, CA. he has a web-site.

Don Boshara

The parts book shows a different part number for the 40 60S than any other Cadillac. If adjustment wont take the play out, the worm and or the roller or roller bearing are warn. The pitman shaft with the roller is the same on most ‘37 - ‘40 Cadillacs & LaSalles, but the worm is part of the steering shaft and is unique to that year and model. I was lucky to find a good set a few years ago, but they are quite rare. Maybe a good machine shop can help.

Chris Bryant #19358

Hi Robert,

I checked my "Hollanders" Edition 16 and found that the 60S steering boxes are unique to the year as previously suggested. When my 38 60S is at the right stage, I will be going to RPM in California for their steering and disc brake conversions. They appear to have the moxie to provide good steering and brakes with minimal disturbance to originality. Ill send you the URL directly to you.

Cheers,

Chris Bryant

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

Thanks for the replys, guys.
Bob