News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Cad Wagon Rear End

Started by Cliff Graubard, May 27, 2005, 12:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Graubard

I have a commercial chassis station wagon built for the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs I would like to change the entire rear end housing. I would like to have something modern that I can put disc brakes on if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I want to use the car locally and on the freeways.
The rear end gearing is like a 4:7? and the first 2 gears in the trans are geared lower for the extra weight that the car can handle and the fact that it was used to travel up to Pikes Peak and other Rockie Mountain resorts.

I am not sure the car would even keep up with traffic here in Southern California.

Thanks,

Cliff

Jim Jordan CLC #5374

HI Cliff,

Havent heard from you in long time.  I would look into a rear end from a 1977 or 1978 Fleetwood Brougham.  They had a rear disc brake set up from the factory.  Possibly a new Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton unit as they are rear disc also.

Jim

Yann Saunders

Cliff, I dont think I have your Broadmoor wagon listed or illustrated in the Cadillac Database:

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/prof56.htm TARGET=_blank>www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/prof56.htm (look under "Hess & Eisenhardt")

If you want it added, please let me know.

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

Cliff et al:

I have been following this post with interest.  Can anyone tell me why a 1956 Cadillac would not be able to stay with modern traffic?  

Living in Colorado, naturally I would like to be aware of any limitations the car might have.  We are working, albeit slowly, on restoring my 6219 and I would like to keep it all original.  

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Randall

Rob Gerace #16100

Hi Cliff,
   Now, keep in mind that anything is possible, with enough money.  But, if your funds are limited, there are a few obstacles involved in installing a newer rear-end.  

The rear axles in the 50s are quite different than the later ones, so installing a later axle will probably involve a bit of welding and fabricating to get it to fit in there and function properly with the suspension.  But, I think it would probably be easier to swap a rear axle from a standard Cadillac of that same era.  It would most-likely bolt right in, and also would have a more highway-friendly gear ratio.  

Also, I would think that rear disc brakes would probably not make a difference, especially not a big enough difference to justify the cost.  In most cars, about 80percent of the stopping power comes from the front brakes, since the weight shifts forward.  

However, with that in mind, I think a front disc brake conversion would be a good idea for SoCal highway driving.  It would eliminate the mechanical fade associated with prolonged stopping with drum brakes.  I believe that there are companies that make front disc conversion kits for most old GM and other common makes.  

So, my guess is that you might want to look into getting a rear axle from a standard passenger Cadillac of the same era and a front disc conversion.  That might be the easiest way to go.  Hopefully, someone else on here will be able to give you more specific advice.  Good luck to you.

Rob
66 SDV

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Randall,

Firstly, a 56 weighs about a ton overweight for optimal acceleration compared with modern cars.

Secondly, the Suspension wont allow the car to corner as quick as a late model car.

Thirdly, the Brakes wont pull you up fast enough in an emergency stop, if travelling at the same speed as the other traffic.

Forthly, trying to find a parking spot sufficiently large enough to park in, and still be able to open the doors to get out at the supermarket will be a problem.

Fifthly, your presence on the road will probably cause accidents - as everyone will be ogling at your car, and not concentrating of driving their own little buzz-boxes.

Having said all the above, there is nothing that will stop you using the 56 as an everyday driver.   You have to remember that back in 56, they were the everyday drivers, and people drove them everywhere.

All you need to do is:
(1)   Seat Belts in all seating positions,
(2)   Radial tyres
(3)   Good heater and A/C,
(4)   Make sure everything is in good condition
(5)   Possible upgrade the brakes to a modern Power Assist, Discs on front, 7" wheels with wide tyres,
(6)   AM/FM/Cassette/CD sound system,
(7)   Try and wipe the Big smile off your face so you look normal.

That is about it.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Cliff Graubard #1430

Hi Rob:

Thanks for the input I think that is they way I am heading. Although I am considering have a Ford 9" rear end made for the car.

I agree, I will put disc on the front. I just had one of my 64 Eldorados converted. I should have the car back this week.

My trans also has low first and second gears.

I have thought about sticking in a 700R4 trans with OD. That would help with the gearing in the rear end also. But I really want to eliminate the commercial rear end entirely, just for the ease of maintenance.

I will be taking some measurements to see how "new" of an old rear end I can go with. I might also put air bags on the car for rideability concerns.

Thanks

Cliff Graubard #1430

Cliff Graubard #1430

Hi:

The commercial chassis has a 4:27 rear gear ratio( I think) along with the fact that this Wagon has real low first and second gears in the trans I think would make it wind out to much for freeway traffic.

Plus, I dont drive real slow. I want to cruise at 75-85 MPH on the open road and I would prefer not to have the car rev out at 3500+ rpms while cruising.

Thanks,

Cliff

cliff Graubard #1430

Hi Jim:

Long time since we saw each other. I am toying with going to Des Moines, not sure yet.

Yes, I would prefer to have something very modern in the back of the Wagon. I think a late model rear end, with or without disc is fine. That combined with a 700R4 trans should make this car move right along.

Cliff

Al Betker#14607

I put a 1/2 ton GM Suburban diff under my 56 Cad Superior ambulance. Its the right width, and has the 5 on 5 bolt circle for the Cad wheels as well.
 This was a rat rod kind of project. The 56 ambulance had several broken leaves in the springs as well.
 Was able to get the Suburban diff and springs for $150.00 from the local wrecker.
 I was able to flip the Suburban springs front for back. I had to make a set of slightly longer spring shackles in back.  It was in and done in a weekend.
 Had stock ride height, and you could not tell the conversion was done.

Larry Blanchard

Cliff:  would a 56 Eldo (3.31:1) be strong enough for the weight of your car?  I would think it would slip right in.

Cliff Graubard- #1430

Sounds fantastic. Any idea of how late of a rear end I can use?
What year was your Suburban rear end from.

I am seriously considering air bagging the car or making new leaf springs for a more comfortable ride.

Thanks,

Cliff

Cliff Graubard- #1430

I think that would work just fine, it would be the easiest to find one from another 56 Cadillac. I know of many older cars laying around that I could snag a rear end out of. I had a set of gears fom a 56 Limousine that I bought years ago from Bob Coopers Vintage Auto Parts in Burbank California, but I cannot find it now.

Thanks again,

Cliff