News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 60 SPC. DOOR LOCKS

Started by FRANK STAGNITTO, May 28, 2005, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANK STAGNITTO

I AM UNABLE TO REPLACE DOOR LOCKS ON THE FRONT DOORS. WHEN THE CAR WAS PAINTED, I REMOVED THEM ALONG WITH THE DOOR HANDELS.  I HAVE CLEANDED THE LOCK DOOR WHOLE FROM EXCESS PAINT.  I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET THE LOCK INTO PLACE BUT CAN NOT GET THE LOCK TO WORK WITH THE KEY.

THE SHAPE OF THE LOCK IS A WIRE SHAFT WHICH HAS A U FORM AND A TAIL WHICH ENTERS THE LOCKING PIECE.  WHEN TURNING THE LOCK WITH THE KEY IT WILL NOT MOVE THE LOCK. I AM ABLE TO MOVE THE LOCKING LEVER ON THE INSIDE OF THE DOOR BUT CANT LOCK OR UNLOCK WITH THE KEY.  I AM SURE THERE MUST BE A SPECIAL WAY THE U MUST BE POSITIONED. PROBLEM,I CANT FIND THAT POSITION. HELP, BEFORE I GO MAD PLEASE REPLY HERE OR PLEASE CALL ME @760 568-4585.  I DO KNOW THIS STYLE KEY LOCK IS ONE OF A KIND ONLY FOR THE 60 SPECIAL.

THANKS, FRANK STAGNITTO CLC # 13539

Barry Wheeler #2189

Hi, Hang in there, and I will send you some info on working on that from something we had (or will have) had in the 41 Chapter newsletter. Im on  vacation, and will get home Wed. Jack Hoffmann in WI gave me an article on doing what you are working on I believe. If you cant wait and want to work on the car this weekend, call him. Hes in the Directory.

Bill Ingler CLC7799

Frank- I replaced the locks on my 41 60S a couple of years ago and it is a bear to get the locking shaft positioned just right to get the key to work. I think I had to remove the chrome window frame to then be able to look down the inside of the door with a small flash light and guide the locking shaft into place inside the door lock. I believe with the window frame in the door, this blocks you from getting what you call the special U in position to turn the lock with the key. Jack might have better way of getting the shaft into postion.

FRANK STAGNITTO

HI BILL, THANX YOUR REPLY I HAVE WANTED TO AVOID THE REMOVEL OF THE WINDOW FRAME, BUT BE AS IT MAY, WHAT I NEED TO DO IS FIGURE THE POSITION OF U.  PEN LENSON, IF YOU SHOULD KNOW HIM, & I WORKED THE U POSITION IN ALL 4 POSITIONS TURNING THE U 25 DEGREEES EACH TURN IN HOPES OF FINDING THE CORRECT POSITION.  

FRANK

FRANK STAGNITTO

HI BERRY, THANKS FOR YOUR NOTE.  TIME IS NOW ON OUR SIDE AS WE LIVE IN THE PALM SPRINGS AREA AND THE TEMP IS IN THE 100s MY WIFE & I HAVE DECIDED IT IS TIME TO MOVE UP TO OUR HOME IN N. CALIF. FOR THE SUMMER.  THE CAR WILL STAY DOWN HERE TIL WE RETURN IN THE FALL, EXCEPT FOR OUR HOUSE CHECK UP EACH MONTH.
I WILL STILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL E-MAIL SINCE WE HAVE AN OFFICE UP NORTH.  LOOKING TO HEAR FORM YOU UPON YOUR RETURN.

FRANK

Bill Ingler #7799

Frank- Here is another possibity. You may have had the U in the right position but the key would not unlock or lock because there could be a bind in the inside remote slide lock bar. The inside slide bar lock has to move freely as this also has to slide as you turn the key. One of my keys would not lock or unlock and it was all due to a bind in the inside slide bar lock. I removed the inside upholstery panel and removed the slide lock and lubricated. I left off the upholstery panel until I was sure everthing worked. You can also create a bind in the inside slide lock by too much tighting of the escutcheon plate over the slide bar.

Barry Wheeler #2189

Hi, Since you mentioned Penn, you might give Carl Steig a call. He knows the cars inside and out...Barry

FRANK STAGNITTO

HI BERRY, THANX FOR THE NOTE.  I HAVE KNOWN CROL STEIG FOR MANY YEARS.  AS A MATTER OF FACT, JUST TODAY WE MOVED UP TO OUR HOME IN N. CALIF. FOR THE REST OF THE SUMMER, SINCE INDIAN WELLS IN IN TH EHIGH 90s TO 105, ECT.  SO ILL GIVE HIM A CALL SHORTLY.

THANK YOU AGIN,  FRANK STAGNITTO

Jeff Maltby 4194

Can anyone tell me what year Cadillacs have long tail shafts=approx 5 long that hang down from the door lock, but have the 49 style key flap cover ?

I won a pair of nos 49 convertible locks with oem GM keys off of ebay but after reading this post, it dawned on me that all 49 keyed door locks should be the same with no tail shafts.

Thanks in advance.