News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

rear tail pan replacement

Started by Matt Givler, May 28, 2005, 11:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Givler

I just started replacing the rusted out tailpan on my 38 cadillac,  I will be tougher than I thought, I know you can buy new stampings for FOrds or Chevys, has anyone seen any for a Cadillac or has anyone did this from scratch that may have some Ideas?
Thanks

Doug Houston

Those tail valances are probably the weakest part on those cars!  When I bought my 38-60S on 1960, it was gone, and the one on my 38-90 had been extensively repaired. I "loaned" it to a guy in Florida, who was planning on making new ones, and hes now totally out of touch. Ill never see that thing again. So, the best thing to do is to make a new one from fiberglass. Itll be tricky, because there is a lot of stress on it from the air stream, so the fiberglass needs to be plenty strong, with reinforcing ribs along its length (the width of the car). Ive heard of it being done, so Ill have to make mew ones for threee cars.

Tom Beaver CLC 22002

EMS makes new tailpans for Chevys (www.emsautomotive.com).  Faced with the same problem you have, and noteing that the Fisher body manual for 37-38 makes no distinction between chevy and cadillac, I called and talked to them.  Their reply was that they did not make any parts for Cadillacs or LaSalles period.  Since I only need to patch around the bumper bracket holes I asked if the chevy tailpan was similar enough to use for patch panels.  They said no, the tailpan was narrower and at $265 and it would be cheaper to make patch panels from scratch.  However, after looking at a 37 chevy I am not convinced you cant use it and am going to make some measurements to make sure.

Matt #12861

Funny you should mention EMS, they are located in Cleveland, an hour away from me and I called them about a year ago to see if they had any scrap pieces they would sell me at a cheaper price that I could cut up and make fit. They said no, and last winter at a swap meet I found a Chevy Tail pan for only $50.00,  I brought it home and if it was a Chevy like they said, it has some "bulges" where it shouldnt be.  I decided not to cut it up it would be easier to start from scratch, and yesterday started trying to make a fiberglass one.  This seems kind of promising. Thanks, for your help.