News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removable hardtops

Started by David L, June 01, 2005, 01:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Looking at 61 convertibles and see occasionally an early 60s car turns up with a removable hardtop, can anyone tell me where they came from and how many are about?

Thanks.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Some were made by Le Mans, Inc., P.O. Box 11073, San Diego 11, California.  I have one of their folders from around 1962 that illustrates and describes their "Le Mans" hardtop [you can have it for $18+postageif youre interested].

Another maker was Rivera (no address info available). They had the "Esquire" removable convertible hardtop for all 1961, 1962 and 1963 GM convertible models. These tops were available in black, white, gold and silver.

Both styles may be viewed in the clubs own "Cadillac Database" in the section on "Dream Cars" for 1962-1964:

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm62-64.htm TARGET=_blank>www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/Drm62-64.htm

I have no idea how many were made and sold by these two manufacturers.  A conservative estimate might be under 500.

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

A few weeks ago, there was a LeMans hardtop brochure available on eBay.  Although the auction is over, and the item has sold, you can still reference the item to see the pictures.

Item number: 7151349505

I hope this helps,
Pat

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Hey! at $18, mine is $70 cheaper !!!  
And its in EXCELLENT condition.

Barry Wheeler #2189

I had, some time ago, a 1947 Cadillac convertible, with a more or less removable hardtop. It was made from a regular roof, and was quite heavy, but it still used the fasteners at the front and a bolt on arrangement where the cylinders used to go. It was fashioned by the former owner of the car. It actually was quite handsome.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

This topic is almost 10 years OLD!
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.