News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shipping six wire wheels to the west

Started by Jim Walsh, June 07, 2005, 01:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Walsh

Hi!  Does anyone have an idea how I can send six wire wheels with split rings to California from New England without going to the poorhouse?  Jim

wm Link

If you want them, lost or destroyd I highly recommend fed XXX (you know who I mean). They have given me major grief on TWO sets of wheels. I was the shipper on one set, purchaser on the other. The once NEW boxes looked as if they were dragged behind the wheels of the truck for hundreds of miles, center caps lost... They will reject your damage claim as "improper packaging" every time. I had a friend send a tilt colume with them...when it got to location it was reported that  TRUCK tire tracks were accross the mid section of the smashed box...yes, the colume  was squashed inside. Since the package was insured no problem right? wrong!!!  fed XXX claimed "improper packaging" case closed. GREYHOUND BUS is a great way to ship, FAST too!!!.

wm Link

If you want them, lost or destroyd I highly recommend fed XXX (you know who I mean). They have given me major grief on TWO sets of wheels. I was the shipper on one set, purchaser on the other. The once NEW boxes looked as if they were dragged behind the wheels of the truck for hundreds of miles, center caps lost... They will reject your damage claim as "improper packaging" every time. I had a friend send a tilt colume with them...when it got to location it was reported that  TRUCK tire tracks were accross the mid section of the smashed box...yes, the colume  was squashed inside. Since the package was insured no problem right? wrong!!!  fed XXX claimed "improper packaging" case closed. GREYHOUND BUS is a great way to ship, FAST too!!!.

Rhino 21150

Fish some strong boxes out of a dumpster behind the shopping center. Get oversized. Pack with styrofoam worms. Send them in six boxes by (GAD! I cant believe Im saying this!) USPS. Lots of clear plastic tape from the office supply. Its the slowest way but it will get there intact and they almost never give trouble with insurance claims. Thats MY experience. Your mileage may vary.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jim,

I totally agree with Rhino,

USPS is the only way I will ever get stuff sent from USA to Tasmania.   Been doing it since 1976, and never had a problem.

Big stuff like Wheels and Dashes, etc. come Surface Parcel Post, and the other stuff comes Air Mail.   But, packaging is the key.

I refuse to use UPS as they are more trouble than they are worth, and cost a lot more as well.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Michael Stamps 19507

I will back up Greyhound bus.  I just had some fenders for a Datsun 260z shipped down to FL from NY.  One day to get here and for 1/3 the cost of other shippers.  In our case the fenders only had one transfer.

Stampie

JIM CLC # 15000

06-07-05
I have to go with mr.LINK & Mr.Stampie. If time is short, (need it yesterday), then the gray-dog is the way to ship, how-ever, if time is not importent, then USPS will delvery right to the door, gray dog, you have to go to the dog-house and pick-up.
Both are good. I have used both.
Good Luck, Jim

Gary

FedXXX theory on how to deliver a package:

Recipient (me) is not home so leave my package at neighbors house (who is not home either).  No problem that I have a huge private covered front porch what sense would that be to leave it on my door step?  

The only way I found out that my package was delivered to the neighbor was when I started calling FedXXX looking for the package.  The driver finally explained where he left it (neighbors porch) but by then it was nowhere to be found.

Filing a claim and getting reimbursed wasnt too difficult - all in all it took only about 2 dozen phone calls and a couple letters and faxes.  

Brad Hemingson

I live in Canada and buy a fair amount of stuff on e-Bay. UPS is the biggest rip-off on the planet. After I have already paid for shipping they re-charge for "customs brokerage". They seem to forget there is no duty on auto parts!! I only have to pay provincial and federal tax at the border. I bought a $50 item on e-Bay plus $15 UPS shipping. The driver show up at my office with a bill for tax plus $50 handling fee for paying $7 in taxes. I freak and he says "no money no parts". I put it on my VISA and as soon as he left I called UPS to get a break, they blew me off so I called VISA and canceled payment. They sent the $57.00 to a collection agency. I figure they will spend about $2,000.00 in legal bills and then I will settle for half which is what I offered them in the first place.

Neither the post office or Fed-EX charge extra for crossing the border so why use UPS? Besides their trucks are b*tt ugly. My rant for the day.

Rhino 21150

I LOVE FedXXX, havent heard that one before. USPS is A.K.A. U.S. Piss, and UPS is Pronounced OOOPS. BTW, Greensboro is getting a FedEx hub at our airport. A 747 taking off or landing every 3 minutes between 11PM and 5AM. I wouldnt use them on a dare.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brad,

The problem with UPS to Australia is that when you want something sent Surface or Snail, or however is going to be the longest, slowest and cheapest, the following happend:

(1)   The package is sent overland in USA,
(2)   Airfreight to the overseas destination (Australia)
(3)   Upon arrival in Sydney, Australia, they work out the Customs payable.
(4)   Send a surface letter to my address in Tasmania demanding I send the correct amount to cover the Customs, and handling,
(5)   I ring them to say that the part has been incorrectly catagorised, and that the part is for an antique vehicle, but they still demand the full payment, telling me that I have to get the refund directly from Customs after I have received the part.
(6)   I send a letter back with a Cheque.
(7)   They receive the cheque, and wait the number of required days for clearance.
(8)   They then forward the package to me via surface.
(9)   Then I have to try and reclaim the excess payment from Customs.

If the part is being sent by Air, then the only difference is that the package is transported over USA and Australia by Air, but the time-wasting payment exercise is still there.

Air by UPS can take up to 4 weeks, but air by USPS can take from 4 days to 8 days.   If you need the part fast, the stuffing around with UPS is the timewaster, and is more expensive.

Surface by UPS is up to 8 weeks, but as expensive as Air by USPS, which takes 8 to 10 weeks.  

USPS is the best, in all ways.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

Thank You!  I will call Grayhound now!  Jim