News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

331 Freeze Plug Installation

Started by P W Allen CLC#20193, June 07, 2005, 07:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P W Allen CLC#20193

I just received a set of brass freeze plugs from Coopers for my 53 Coupe. They are the disk type with no shoulder. Am I right in assuming that they go in with the convex side out and then you tap them in to expand them? Thanks.

Paul
53 Coupe
Dynaflow

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Paul,

Go to the top of the class.

I always put a wipe of Loctite on the outside edge before giving them the one-tap

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Paul W Allen CLC # 20193

Thanks Bruce. One further question.How far in the hole should it end up with the one tap? Oh, one more while Im here. Whats the best way to remove the old ones? Theyre the steel ones with the shoulder.

Paul

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Paul,

When inserting the dish plugs, the plug goes all the way in to the machined stop, then sufficiently belted with a mandrel, or a ball-pein hammer, in the centre, to expand the outside edge to create the pressure seal.   How much pressure is required, well, that comes from experience and is hard to describe over the internet.  

If someone had used steel Cup plugs, then you have a problem.   They probably were rednecks and didnt know what they were doing.

You see, there is a machined ledge at the back of the hole to stop the dish ones from going completely through when you tap them.

I think that the only way to remove them will be to insert a self-tapping screw into the centre, and then try and pull them out with a slide hammer.   You may have to increase the size of the hole until you can put the hook of the slide hammer behind to pull it out.   BUT, be careful not to damage the lip at the bottom of the hole, or the cylinders inside the block.   They cant be removen in the normal way.   But, dish plugs also can be removed with the puller, but they are designed that way.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV