News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado Convertible Top

Started by Ray CLC #17595, June 07, 2005, 09:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray CLC #17595

I lowered the top today on my 1976 Eldorado for the first time this season.  No problems on the way down but after a drive I noticed when I parked the car in the garage that there was an intermittent on-off noise in the trunk area.  Like a motor cycling even though the ignition was off and key was out.  I then attempted to raise the top but it only weakly rose about a foot before it gave up and went back down even though I was still depressing the switch to go up.  Also the up/down switch seemed like it didnt have as much give in either direction as before when the top was working fine.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

Ray - CLC#17595

UPDATE:  After sitting overnight I was able to raise the top this morning quite normally.  However, the noise I was hearing appears to be the top motor activating by itself every 30 seconds or so in the down position.  The only way I could keep the top from lowering by itself (even with ignition off and key removed) was to diconnect the battery.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brian Rachlin

Ray,

I think you have offered enough information to answer your own question.  I would keep my eyes open on Ebay for a new top switch, or contact a Caddy parts vendor.

You said that the switch didnt feel right, and that the top motor was going all by itself.

If the switch was sticking in the down position, the motor was trying to pull it down, and the relay and/or breaker was overheating and opening up the curcuit.

The contacts in the switch may be going/sticking/, and shorted, causing the symptom you described.  Luckily, the design works so that you did not burn out the motor, or start the car on fire.

Good luck,

Brian

Ray - CLC #17595

Thanks, Brian.  I will check it out.  Hopefully, it is as simple as the switch since it is inexpensive and readily available.  The switch had actually crossed my mind but I had ruled it out when the motor was cycling with the ignition off.

George

Dont forget to check the relay for sticking, it sits right next to the motor.