News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

paint production numbers???HELP!!!

Started by Erik Brandenburger, June 18, 2005, 03:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erik Brandenburger

Hello everyone,

Who knows where I can find out how many cars were made in a particular color for a particular year.  Specifically,  how many 1969 Cadillacs were painted WISTERIA (paint code 47).  I have one of these lavender Sedan de Villes and would like to know.  Thanks in advance.   Erik (1969-SDV, 1940-62, 1990-Brougham)

Barry Wheeler #2189

HI Eric,
I dont believe that there were records kept of colours...
You have to remember that your (and my) car were one of hundreds made each and every day, and all GM cared about was the orders for the ones they would build tomorrow, and the sooner they wore out, the better they would like it.
True, there was probably some record kept for trends for a few years, but after this much time, they could care less. They simply dont have the time (or need) for retaining such statistics.
Back in the days when they allowed individuals to research cars by sitting at the microfische in Detroit all day, you might have been able to have done this. But since they get $$$ for build sheets now, they dont allow that anymore.
This is probably too long winded of an explanation as to why you cant get the info you wish. Since you are obviously wanting to confirm the rarity of your colour, let me share just how far some people will go to gain such status, (with no reflection on you intended.)
I have a collector friend who has "one of two" 1938 Packards in a certain body style. As his collection is for sale, this car was included. The owner of the "other one" wished to purchase it, no haggling at all. But then he was going to destroy my friends car, so he would have "the only one," his original one. To Dons credit, he would not sell the car to this person for any price now. But who knows what might happen when he does sell it, and the "other guy" starts throwing money at the purchaser.
You have a lovely colour, that not many were painted thus. Simply call it a "low production colour," and let it go at that.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Erik,

The ’70 Data Book  shows percent usage of ’69 colors. Wisteria, (Code 47) is not listed. You could  read that to mean its use was below the lowest shown of 1.23percent for Lucerne Aqua.

HTH,
Ralph

Barry Wheeler #2189

HI Ralph, Thanks for updating my knowledge. Ive not seen a later than 41 data book, so I didnt know they had this included in the stuff for the "new" cars. That just shows to go ya that no one knows everything...except maybe Doug.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Barry,

We have a few guys in our region who would 41 is a newer used car. Among them are an 04, 09 and an 11.....hows that for "Old Cars"?

Regards,
Ralph

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

Ralph is correct that the 70 Data Book will show the percentage breakdown for color use in the 69 model year.

However, it is my understanding that the colors shown in the 70 data book will only show the 69 colors CARRIED OVER into the 70 model year.  (For example, my 75s Tarragon Gold doesnt appear in the 76 Data Book because TG wasnt offered in 76.)  The data books were meant to aid the salesmen as to the popular colors...

I hope Im not spreading mis-information...

Pat

David Harrison

You could try adding up the percentages for the colors listed and then see how many cars are not accounted for. That and the number of colors not carried over will get you pretty close.  You could probably make the assumption that if the color wasnt carried over directly it was because it was either replaced by a similar color or it wasnt very popular.  
Another option might be to see what percentage of cars were painted that color the previous year and make the assumption that a similar percentage were painted that color the next year as well.

Tom Hall

The statistics were not limited to the colors carried over from one year to the next.  They include colors with rough counterparts in the following year (e.g., 1970 Sauterne, which was new for 1970 but close enough to a 1969 metallic beige that they gave the 1969 stats).  The statistics were to help a sales manager figure what the color trends were for ordering stock.  Because there was no non-firemist lilac/orchid/wisteria/rose color in the color lineup for 1970, 1969 popularity stats are not listed in the 1970 data book; they are irrelevant.  However, the figure for Chateau Mauve Firemist would be pretty close: 1.5percent for Calais and Devilles other than convertibles.  Probably about 1percent-2percent of 1969 SDVs were in Wisteria.  I cannot recall seeing one, though, and I was in a big city at the time.

Erik Brandenburger

Everybody...THANK YOU!!!     It was a wealth of information and very specific.   Perhaps in the future I can return the favor.  Erik (1990 Brougham, 1969 SDV, 1940 62 series)