News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wheres Idle screw on 1990 5.0?

Started by Eric Maypother CLC #15104, June 18, 2005, 09:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

Hi all,
I have a 1990 Brougham RWD 5.0 carb eng, I need to turn idle up a hair and dont know which is the idle screw and dont want to turn wrong 1, its not in same place as my 77.
Thanks for help,
Eric :)

Mike #19861

The curb idle screw is in the same location for all Q-jets. But, there is a 2-step procedure for your 5.0 Brougham.

First, turn off the AC. Set the curb idle to spec (usually 600-650 in drive). This screw is in the same place as that on your 425.

Then turn on the AC and give the throttle a bump to set the idle solenoid. This solenoid increases the idle speed slightly to compensate for compressor load. You can use a 13mm wrench and turn the plunger out to set idle speed. Do this also in drive.

If you wish to set the idle in park or neutral, for safety reasons, then you can set it at 700 RPM in both intances.

Mike