News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

96 Deville electric level control

Started by Robert Bothwell, June 19, 2005, 06:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bothwell

Hi all;
 I recently took my 96 Deville to the dealer to get a recall taken care of. While I was there, I asked the technician about the ride control on this car ( it has had a very harsh ride ever since I bought it which I thought was a bad strut/shock problem).
  He checked the computer and said that all codes passed as normal. He went to the rear of the car and bounced it a couple of times and said that he could not hear the pump running. Then he said that new components were very expensive and we left it at that.
  When I got it home I decide to look in the owners manual and found that there is a fuse for this system located in the trunk. A few minutes of digging located the fuse panel and the correct fuse. When I pulled it, sure enough, it was blown. I put in a nwe one, started the car up and drove it around the block. The pump works, the back of the car is about 4 inches higher, and the ride is 100percent improved. So, I learned a couple of valuable lessons; dont always believe that the dealer service is always right ( and will explain anything to you), and be smart enough to use the resources at hand to check out a problem.
  There may be not much I can fix on one of these computerized contraptions, but I can check fuses.
Have a great day!
Bob B.

David #19063

Hi Bob,

Where exactly is the fuse located in the trunk?

I would like to check it on my wifes 96 Concours.  I think it rides rough, but that could be that I drive a 94 Fleetwood Brougham which has the ultimate soft ride.

David

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

David,
 When you open the trunk lid, at the edge under the window you should see 4 long plastic nuts which hold up the liner. Remove these and pull the liner down. On the seat back on the left side is the fuse block. The fuse is a 30 amp. In your glove compartment door is a little box with extra fuses and a fuse puller. If not still there, youll have to get one. Pull the ELC fuse and check it out.
 I hope yours is blown. My Deville is so much better it is a pleasure to drive now.
Bob B.

TJH #20664

Hi all,

Wow what a deal!  I was so excited I went and checked the fuse in my 95 but it was fine :(  Mine must have some other problem because the dash says check level ride.  I got the same answer from the dealer except they didnt scan mine for codes.  Anyone have any ideas or know what is the most common failure on this vintage.  THe dealer told me that the orignal air shocks are no longer available form GM but have been replaced with standard gas shocks and a kit to make the light on the dash shut off.  Most of the aftermarket places seem to list level ride compatible shocks but have very poor discriptions that always seem to include rwd so im thinking those are for the Brougham even though its under Deville.  I wouldnt mind if i could get them to work with a switch or even the old schrader valve somewhere.  I haul a trunk full of tools and  equipment all the time and could use the lift.

Thanks!

TJH
Clc 20664
73 eldo convert
95 deville

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

Dear TJH,
 Sorry to hear that your fuse was O.k.
 Late last year, there was a listing on eBay for a set of struts and shocks which would replace the electric ones on the Devilles.
The fellow said he had worked with a major supplier of such components (maybe Monroe) to come up with them. A set was selling for around $500. perhaps a Google search would pull up the information. Ill look on my computer to see if I stored it anywhere.
 He also said that he had the information to turn off the warning light on the information center.
Regards,
Robert B.