News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Firing Order

Started by Jim Black #21089, June 20, 2005, 01:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Black #21089

Reading the posts on the correct position of the #1 cylinder at approximately 12:00 oclock. Mine is at about 7:00 oclock. Evidently it is 180 degrees out. The car runs O.K. Will this hurt the engine and if so how do I change it? Thanks, Jim

John Washburn

Jim,

Just had the pleasure of finding this same wiring on a friends 1961 Cadillac and on another friends 1954 Buick.

What happens is that the mechanic puts the distributor in 180 degrees out. So instead of fixing the wrong position of the distributor, said mechanic, just changes the firing order so that no one knows the difference. If you trace #1 plug you will see that it is now five holes to the left (counter clock wise) of where it should be.

If you are comfortable pulling the distributor out and then putting it back in correctly (this may take a couple of tries) then I say fix it so the next poor owner has a better chance of working on the car. Otherwise leave it, it will run fine.

Good Luck

John Washburn
CLC #1067