News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

91 SDV Left door express down

Started by Al Smith, June 21, 2005, 01:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Smith

In my 91 SDV. the left front door glass went down on its own & wont come back up. Is this the express down module shorting out?
Can I just unplug it? If I can get the glass up Id disconnect it & leave it there.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Al

Al Smith

Just trying for an answer. The book doesnt really cover this & Im stumped.
Thanks, Al

David #19063

Al,

I had this happen with a 90 Imperial I once owned.  I am sure, the Cadillac is similar.

For me, it was the switch that was bad.  

However, the dealer wanted a fortune for a new switch.

And at all the local salvage yards, every drivers switches from the Chrysler cars had already been removed.  Common problem.

If you can get a junk yard switch then do so.

What I had to do was remove the door panel, remove the switch, and take the switch partially apart.

I was able to get it operating properly.  (You will notice that the contacts on the switch for the drivers window is a little different than the other 3 windows.  There is an extra little copper tab that makes contact to engage the autodown.  It is not springing back thereby keeping the contact to put the window down.)

So I put it back together, replaced it, put the door panel back on.

Within two weeks it started doing it again.

So I had to take the door panel off again...etc.

This time (as I should have done the first time) was remoce the extra tab connect by bending and snipping.

Worked fine ever after, just no autodown...no real loss.

Good luck!

David

Al Smith

Thanks Dave. Ill give that a shot. Al