News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

What does this style hood ornament come off of.

Started by K. Diaz, June 21, 2005, 04:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

I got this info from Tim Stephens of Belgium, in May, 2003: This hood ornament was only available for the 1974-1977 models, and then only for the deVille dElegance (sedan or coupe) and the Coupe deVille Cabriolet (half-vinyl-roof) package in 1974-76. The 1977 deVille dElegance models also carried this see-thru chromed ornament, and it was not repeated for 1978, by which time the full-colour crest-only ornament was on all deVilles, dElegance or standard.

Dick Heller

Thought it started with downsized 77 Coupe, Sedan?

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Hopefully, to clarify this information, I agree with most of what Yanns reply stated, except that I am sure that it was the standard hood ornament for all Coupe deVilles and Sedan deVilles in 1977. (It did first appear in 1974, as part of the Sedan & Coupe DeVille Delegance package through 1976, as well as with the Cabriolet roof option on Coupe deVilles in 1975 and 1976, possibly starting mid-year 1974 with the Cabriolet roof option.) The one shown, having the solitary base, as opposed to being attached to the center hood chrome strip, would have to be from a 1977 DeVille (Coupe or Sedan).

Sid Bartos

i read somewhere that that style was only used for the 77 models to celebrate the 75th anniversary of cadillac, but im not positive.

sid

Craig Chally

The image is of the standard 1977 DeVille hood ornament.  I know as I have the great pleasure of staring at one every time I drive my 77 CDV.  I think, though, that another poster was right in that a similar style was used in 1974, but attached to a strip of brightwork that followed the center hood spine.

Craig

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

Well I was way off base.  I thought these were used on the Calais (62 series) models cause they look so cheap.  Hmmmm.  Sorry, Craig!!  I have a 77 Eldorado Biarritz and being a Fleetwood it has the chrome (stainless surely) strip down the hood and the full color crest with heavy chrome wreath.

I think what I am recalling is a light blue sedan from 1975 with white trim and a blue and white window pane plaid interior.  Come to think of it...I thought it was a Calais but I have been reminded it was a Sedan DeVille.  It had one of these.  

So when did the Calais nomenclature start and end? Am I correct that it was the lower end of the line, or the old series 62 line?

Baffled in Longmont.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

The Calais was produced from 1965 (when it replaced the prior Series 62) through 1976.  The price difference between a Calais and a deVille was usually quite small, especially if the Calais was equipped with power windows and seat, which were optional in the earlier years.  I have owned two Calais (a 1966 and a 1967) that were equipped like Fleetwood Broughams -- tilt wheel, power windows, power seat, power door locks, power trunk, etc.  One can only wonder why the buyers of these fully-loaded cars bought Calais rather than deVilles -- the equipment level does not suggest that the buyer was trying to minimize his outlay.  I can only assume that the cars were in stock, the buyer liked the color, and saw no meaningful difference between the Calais and the deVille.  

Craig Chally

The Calais was the "entry-level" Caddy.  It was the new name for the old base Series 62 models, as distinguished from the DeVille.  I believe Cadillac started using it in the mid-60s (1965, I think) and ended after the 1976 model year.  Youre right that the Eldorados and Fleetwoods (and Sevilles) used a color wreath and crest hood ornament in 77.  As to the ornament looking cheap, its a heavy sucker, very thick, and looks great when polished.  It can also blind you under the right conditions, so steer with caution. ;)

Craig

Thank you, Richard.  I cannot answer that but I will say that the 6219 I have is one of the most popular cars sold in 1956 and is absolutely loaded, but with the regular trim of a 62 series.  One wonders if the salesman got them in by looking at the cheaper model and then suggested addons.  I do not know about the later years, but in the mid=50s the series 62 sedan had the short deck which might have had a greater appeal.

Now I believe that!  I like aiming my Eldo with the wreath.  Like my Uncle used to say about his 50 Roadmaster ... use the bomb site on the hood, and you cant miss the turns!!  LOL!

Johnny

Quote from: Randall McGrew CLC # 17963Thank you, Richard.  I cannot answer that but I will say that the 6219 I have is one of the most popular cars sold in 1956 and is absolutely loaded, but with the regular trim of a 62 series.  One wonders if the salesman got them in by looking at the cheaper model and then suggested addons.  I do not know about the later years, but in the mid=50s the series 62 sedan had the short deck which might have had a greater appeal.

In 1962 they revived the short deck sedan.  The 1962 Cadillac family included 2 short-deck sedans, one each in the Series 62 and 63 de Ville series.  These four-door hardtops were 7 inches shorter then the standard sedans in their series. The lowline Series 62 short-deck model was called the Town Sedan. The new Series 63 short-deck sedan was called the Park Avenue Four-Window Sedan de Ville. The short-deck sedans had an over-all length of 215 inches compared to 222 inches on Cadillacs standard four-window sedans. The short-deck Series 62 Town Sedan was dropped at the end of the 1962 model year, but there was still a short-deck sedan in the mid-range Series 63 de Ville model lineup. The short-deck Park Avenue Sedan was discontinued at the end of the 1963 model year.  As I remember the reason for the short-decked Cadillacs was to appeal to people that didnt have garages to accommodate the full size Cadillacs.

Johnny

I think it should be noted that Cadillac started the big styling rages of the 70s with the introduction and revival of Hood oraments, Opera windows and Opera Windows on its 1971 Eldorados.  As the decade proceeded, just about every car had a hood orament, opera windows and opera lights in one way or another.  It was also the year that Cadillac stopped making convertibles in their standard line and limited their convertibles to just the Eldorados, which was the first year of FWD Eldorado convertibles.

JIM CLC # 15000

07-16-05
All, in 1958 I test drove a 58 Cadillac and ask the salesman about the CALAIS,his reply was, "it is just the same as a deVille, expect that it has manual windows". the point of this post is to point-out that the Calais was built in the mid-fifties. (dont know what the first or last year,  was for it)
HTH (my .25 cents)
Good Luck, Jim

Porter 21919

Sideburns, rock & roll music, nehru jackets and love beads, disco music and muscle cars, big block engines galore, cheap gas too.

Last of the big cars, vinyl tops, opera windows, carburetors, Vettes with chrome bumpers, eight tracks, no plastic bumper fillers, etc., etc.

Porter (lost in the 60s & 70s)

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Re: your 1956 model, it may well be that the original owner of your car preferred a pillared sedan with full-framed windows over the hardtop sedan style of the Sedan de Ville.  Id guess that many people felt that way and my dad was one of them.

That is an interesting point, Rusty.  Was that  because that is what they knew or because they felt the roof line was stronger?  Or was it an esthetic?  Do you recall?
Come to the think of it, that sounds like a reasonable explanation.  I love the 62 series.  It seems to follow me around.  But I must admit that the DeVilles Florentine styling as always appealed to be except when getting in and out of them!  I tend to smack my head. Ouch!  :/  

Johnny, I had not realised that the short deck was used that much.  I did know about the Park Avenue DeVille but was unaware of its lesser sister in the 62 lineup in the 60s.  I had a Fleetwood Sixty Special from 1956 and it was HUGE.  That deck looked like you could land a Hellcat on it!  Or keep a migrant family comfortable for the winter in the trunk.  Those were the days.  :)   Yes, its all simpering nostalgia but Ill take it for the good feelings it raises.  <G>

Joe, that is a very interesting point...I had not realised that the Calais line went back to 1958.  WOW.  So when did the numbering for the models change?  I will check my Schneiders and see.  Did your father prefer pillared or non-pillared?

You and me both, Porter.  Seems like the 70s and Albuquerque was only a week ago ... and the 60s, at least for me, was a good time.  There was a lot of sad and unhappy things about it, but I am happy I remember the good.  

I liked the 80s too (dont shoot me!!) but the 90s sucked and this marvelous new millinium of ours is for the birds so far.  Change is never fun, but it is interesting.

Point :  In the 70s I never wore fringed things...bell bottoms or tie dyed shirts; I hated pot (it stinks) and loathed long grungy hair.  The cars were a bore and disappointment.  Being a good non-conformist, I wore sport jackets, black knit ties and carried my violin with me in high school along with skads of history books.  And I was a monster when it came to bullys.  I loved to defend the little geaks like me with their pocket protectors.  I have always despised injustice, especially on the small scale, so you might say I was as unpopular as saddle shoes with the in crowd.   <G>  

I miss stove pipe white jeans, cheap Italien boots, clean cut looks, and Don Purdomes Little Red Waggon....I think it was his, the red Dodge pickup dragster.  The 60s was Jan and Dean, Simon and Garfunkel; Dillon.  Motorcycles and 63 Impalas, to me...and the St. Louis Arch.  

Sorry....I just had to indulge a little.  Didnt mean to shanghai the thread. :D

Art#22010

Mantle and Maris and the Beatles too,
Man on the Moon,and Grazy Glue
Liston and Clay, Lombardi and Halas
Burning our cities, 4 days in Dallas
Sometimes were sad, many were good
Detroit cubic inches, under the hood

Mustangs and Caddys, Muscle cars too,
Not the gray of today, but colors for you
From Kruschev and Kennedy,way back when
 We were all so much younger,  THEN!