News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 cad wiper arm removal

Started by Tim lewis, June 23, 2005, 05:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim lewis

Hi all. I want to send my wiper pedastals in to have them chromed, however, I am not sure how to remove the linkage arm from the bottom of the pedastal. ( I am talking about the inside linkage, not the exterior arm and blade)  There is a small pivot ball on the end of the arm, but I cannot see how to release it, and I do not want to break it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is anyone familiar with Superior chrome plating in Houston,Tx? Thats where I am going to send my parts.

Thanks

Tim

Barry Wheeler #2189

Hi, You should get in touch with Ficken wiper service. They purchased all of Tricos old stock. I think they have a web site, and they also advertise in Hemmings Motor News.

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

Not sure If I can explain this by text only but will try.  The shaft for the wiper and acorn nut has the arm with the ball socket at the other end.  The shaft at the arm end has serrations on it to keep it on the arm.  Pull the shaft out of the wiper housing and the arm will fall out.  The shaft will of course also be out.  The only remaining piece is the pot metal casting which can be replated.  The plater must be cautioned about changing the diameter of the hole for the shaft.  

The next question is how to remove the shaft without destroying it or the housing.  With the wiper and acorn nut removed find some washers that just fit over the shaft but rest on the housing.  Stack up enough washers so you can just catch a regular nut on the shaft threads.  As you tighten the nut the shaft will pull out.  After a turn or two you will have to remove the nut and add more washers.  After a couple of repeats of this procedure the shaft will be out and the arm will fall out.  You can now see that it is very easy to assemble as long as the chrome shop doesn’t mess up the hole for the shaft.  Just tap the shaft into the arm.

This is based on 1938, 39, and 40 parts but I am almost certain that the 41 is the same.