News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

After market air con available for 59??

Started by R Jones, June 26, 2005, 01:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Jones

Is there after market air con available for 59??

Any one put in after market air in their 59

I thought of getting (if possible) the old condenser and evatporator and just using a new tupe compressor.  Sounds like a lot of money for air con shop to make it all fit.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Gary B

I installed a combination aftermarket and original system on my 59 many years ago.  I wasnt intersted to remove my fender etc and get into all that.

1. The original a/c radiator is welded differently - hose attachments are in different location to allow for it to be in front of the core support.  I think that you can have your radiator reconfigured.
2. If you can get a 7 blade fan and a fan shroud.  Not only will it help to look original but it will also help your car and a/c work more efficiently.
3. I put a set of original a/c ducts under the dash - looks good.
4. Get a new compressor and evaporator from Old Air Products or another supplier (http://www.oldairproducts.com/shop/index.php)
5. You will also need original brackets for the compressor, condensor, misc parts.  
6. I forget if we used anything else - a friend who is a mechanic did most of the mechanical work.  I installed a lot of the parts because I didnt want my car to get scratched, etc.  I was trying to make it look somewhat original.  I painted the underdash unit to match the dashboard color.

R. Jones

Hi
I will lookinto old air.  I was going to get a evaporator to go on firewall underhood from Classic Auto Air trying to avoid the under dash unit.

Do you have to take off the fender?

THanks

Ed Mobley

I would keep my eye on Ebay the next time somebody parts out a 59 or 60 Caddy with A/C.  My 60 Caddy has factory A/C that I have rebuilt.  Based on my knowledge of the system, if I ever had a non a/c car Id try to find an old factory unit instead of using some type of generic unit.

Regards,

Ed