News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Weight

Started by Karl Martin, July 04, 2005, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Martin

Can anyone tell how to find the kirb weight of my Caddy ??
Its a 78 Sedan de Ville, 4 Door, 425 Engine. Ive got a manual but there doesnt seem to be any info on dimensions etc.
      Cheers

Jeff Maltby 4194

88,951 built. Somewhere around 4,500 lbs.

Rob Gerace #16100

The Standard Catalog of Cadillac says that the shipping weight of a 78 Sedan deVille is 4236 pounds.  I hope that helps.

Rob
66 SDV

Rhino 21150

Interesting! The shop manual for my 1976 Oldsmobile Delta Royale says the car weighs 4,280 with minimum options, several hundred heavier with air and a bunch of other options, like a 455cid. I have the little 350.

Rob Gerace #16100

Also, you have to take into account that 76 was the last year of the large cars before the 1977 downsizing.  So, Im sure a similarly optioned 76 Olds would weigh a bit more than a deVille from 78.  

For example, a 76 Sedan deVille weighed 5127 lb, while the 77 model only weighed 4222 lb.  Quite a difference.  

Rob

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Kark,

The best way to fing the curb weight of your, or any car, for that matter, is to take it to a certified Weighbridge, and have it weighed.

As far as finding a weighbridge, well, all Truch Inspection Stations, Race Tracks, and businesses that deal in bulk materials like firewood and freight should be able to help.   Heck, they might even enjoy weighing something that doesnt resemble a truck.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rhino 21150

Another possible place to get it weighed is a recycler or demolition yard. The recycler told me my stretch/stretch Dodge van weighed in at 5,550 pounds empty. Missing the three rear seats! I dropped off 2,700 pounds of newspaper that day. Yeah, Ill get around to it soon...

Dave MacGregor #18998

I have the following info from my page 97 of my owners manual regarding the shipping weight of all 1977 models except the Seville and the commercial chasis.

Fleetwood Brougham 4340lbs

Sedan DeVille 4222 lbs.

Coupe DeVille 4186 lbs.

Eldorado Coupe 4955 lbs.

Fleetwood Limousine 4738 lbs.

Fleetwood Formal Limousine 4806 lbs.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Youre right on that account. In 1977 (last year for the pre-downsized mid-sized Oldsmobiles and first for the downsized full-sized Olds)the Cutlass and the Ninety-Eight both weighed about 4,100 pounds while the Delta 88 was three or four hundred pounds LESS than the Cutlass; for 1978, the Cutlass went down to about 3,500 pounds.