News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado Hub Cap crest repainting

Started by Dave MacGregor #18998, July 05, 2005, 03:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave MacGregor #18998

Just thought Id pass along something that I tried and worked well regarding the repainting of the red areas that often fade on the hub cap crests of the 70s Cadillac Eldorado ... Ready for this???

Its Revlon Colorstay #11 "Ultimate Wine" fingernail enamal.

I recently repainted a couple of pealing hub caps on my 77 Eldorado and wanted to do something about the faded crests on them.  The hub cap crests werent pitted at all and all the other colors are still reasonably bright and clean of imperfections, except for the red.  I couldnt find anything at a hobby store and nothing short of a quart of automotive paint could be made for them so, out of desperation I went to the local drug store with a "new" spare one I had and found a perfect match with the Revlon product I mentioned above!  Although Revlon says itll only last 10 days on fingernails, it seeems to be wearing extremely well considering that the car is almost never in the weather anymore.

As I said, I wanted to pass this tip along for others to try as needed to keep their Cadillacs looking fresh.

Later!

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

Interesting idea!  Thanks for posting it.  My 77s have faded too.  I could buy new ones but at $40 a piece I think I will do as you.  In my case, I have done this before by painting them with enamel model paints, then clear coating them,  If you clear coat them lightly, with many coats allowing each to dry completely, then they last for quite a while.

George Woodford clc21025

I used Testers model paints.  Matching the colors wasnt an issue except for gold.  Use a straw from a broom; you can avoid over painting the areas.  Since the crests are still available from GM, I opted to buy new ones instead of making a hobby of painting crests.