News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

retrofitting a PCV valve to a 365 c.i.d.

Started by Mike, July 05, 2005, 04:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Does anyone have experience in adding a PCV system to a 365 cid (or any other displacement motor without a PCV system)in order to replace the road tube? I really want to get rid of the smelly fumes.

I was thinking of routing the road tube to the intake manifold by making a tee connection where the pwr brake takes its vacuum (with a PCV valve in line). The air intake to the crankcase would continue to come from the vented oil cap. The Rochester 4GC doesnt have any additional vacuum ports, so I cant attach there.  I didnt want to do anything where I cut into the batwing air cleaner. Would this create idle problems by perhaps having too much air getting into the manifold?

Any advice would be welcome.

Mike

JIM CLC # 15000

07-05-05
Mike, I have a 38 that I plan to put a PCV system on.  (someday). I have seen the PCV systems routed to the bottom of the air-cleaner, to the inside of the filter, where the filter would not get the oil fumes on it and you had to know what to look-for to know that it had a PCV system.
Good Luck, Jim

Warren Rauch

Cadillac did this very thing in the 1960s. The 1968 parts book under group1.745 has kits for 1950-56 and 1957-62. The illustration in the front of group 1, shows a cap on the hole for the draft tube. Then a rubber hose along the top of the valve cover. The PCV valve is screwed into an adapter plate that goes under the carb like an extra gasket.Warren

Doug Houston

Warrens got it! I had a 61 Cadillac and I installed one of those kits on it. I seem to remember that it was advertised by AC spark plug in their catalogue. It worked beautifully.

Now, on the 38 cars.All models, bith V8 and V16 HAD PCV systems on them. It was dropped on the V8s in 39 when the road draft tube was cast in the rear of the block. The V16s continued with the PCV through 1940.

Mike

Thanks Warren; that sounds like the easiest way to fit the valve. Ill try to get a copy of that illustration so I can try to fabricate that set up, as I doubt GM dealers will stock that kit any longer (but Ill give it a shot anyway)  If that doesnt work out, Ill try Jims suggestion and try to route the draft tube into the air cleaner without hacking it up. Hopefully I can get rid of the crankcase gasses and the old car smell that keeps my daughters from cruising the 56 Fleetwood with me.

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I retrofitted a system from a 64 onto my 61. It was easy and simple to do, the trick being to find a donor car. I wrote a tech article about it for the Self-Starter - I think it was in the July 03 issue. It has step-by-step instructions. I can look and see if I still have a copy of the manuscript on disk, and Ill be happy to mail it to you if you like.

Mike

Thanks Jim: I would really appreciate that. If you find it please post a note and Ill give you my address.

Ed Mobley

I used Jims advice to put a PCV valve on my 60 Caddy.  I got a factory PCV setup from a 63 Cadillac.  Works like a champ.  I also replaced the oil breather cap with one that has a hose barb (which fits onto the air cleaner) to create a closed PCV system.

Regards,

Ed