News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Painting Backround on grill

Started by Bob Kazawic, July 06, 2005, 12:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kazawic

recently had grill and other parts plated, the black backround was removed in the plating process and the entire part is chromed, any tips on how to repaint these areas?
Bob

JIM CLC # 15000

07-05-05
BOB, it has been my experance that paint on chrome sticks real good. However, if you can stuff-up the area that you want to paint with fine sandpaper it will stay on better. Ask/call a body shop, they like to talk. Porter is the paint expert, jump-in on this post with your expertise, Porter.
I have a 38 La Salle and I didnt have the grill re-chormed, however IM thinking of painting the background. It is presently not painted, but IM thinking of painting it (the background) with silver paint. Only problem would be the tapeing of the grill.
Good Luck, Jim

Porter 21919

My 67 CDV project car will get painted chrome bumpers (since the chrome is shot), Im not a Rockefeller.

The chrome will get sanded down with some 180 or 220 grit, epoxy primed, sanded with 400 grit and than some type of pseudo chrome paint.

LOL,

Porter

Rhino 21150

I have a 38 and have thought of painting the background, so I asked my body guy how he would do it. He said to use plastic shipping tape to cover the chromed front completely, then flip the grill over ans spray from there. Use an airbrush and work slowly, no big guns, too much paint, too much blast. I havent tried it, sounds sensible. Good chrome would let you dip the grill to remove the paint if it didnt give pretty results.
Good luck!

Andrew 10642

When I had to re-do the headlight doors on my 67 Eldo, I taped them off with blue making tape, and then used flat black spray paint.  Never came off after 7 years and 25,000 miles.  Of course, it was not perfect, but the factory wasnt either.

Dave MacGregor #18998

Did that once for a Chevy grill years ago.  That was bad enough for me to deal with, but it can be done with patience and time.  Thank goodness I dont have to do the grill on my 77 Eldorado!  Wew!  Speaking of which, last year I had to redo the black on its headlight bezels so I used satin black spray paint and regular blue masking tape quite succesfully perhaps not too unlike like Andrew above with his 67 Eldos headlight doors.

Good Luck!

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

That is what I have to do to mine, Dave.  My 77 light bezels need touching up, and the spears on the hood are missing parts of the black paint.  I think I will do the same, but this time I think I will use black caliper paint. It is supposed to be more rugged and durable.  A satin black would work wonders.

Found out that a shop that does convertibles and the like will redo my cabriolet roof in the original gold for $600.  Im seriously considering that.  Then I would have it repainted.  Hmmmm.

Porter 21919

Randal,

What is black caliper paint ?

It is all in the proper preparation of the substrate, which is the steel, aluminum, etc.

GM coated many substrates very poorly, not that it mattered, just good enough for the new car buyer, until the paint flaked off years later.

In the first place the substrate needs the proper scratch, ie: abrasive sanding or blasting to give the paint some "tooth" to adhere to if you will.

The manufacturer will give you the recommended method of how to apply their products on the substrate for proper adhesion.

I use epoxy primer on bare steel for new paint, it has the best adhesion with the proper scratch, of course.

Just click on the product #.

http://www.autobodydepot.net/depotdocs.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.autobodydepot.net/depotdocs.html

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

08-12-05
Porter,hes speaking of "brake caliper" paint.
Good Luck, Jim

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

Oh yeah BLACK brake caliper paint....supposed to be very tough and wear like iron (god I hope it doesnt rust like iron!!!).  Naturally we would need to score or prime it.
Sigh.  Whatever I do it wont last.  Nothing ever does.  :-)

Dave MacGregor #18998

I agree that black caliper paint should work pretty good for that purpose.  I just used regular satin black Krylon, but I know thats not as durable your choice.

Porter 21919

Jim,

I knew that.

Urethane will hold up better than any other paint, proper adhesion requires proper prep of the substrate, black caliper paint, whatever that is (is) nonsense.

The best paints are two stage, mixed with a catalyst or hardener, you can add flattening agent to urethane to dull it down if so desired.

I discussed this with Ed Mobley when he was restoring under the hood of his 60 CDV, he used some lacquer stuff from Eastwood, hit it with brake fluid or a solvent and it is toast, then again GM used all lacquer back in the 60s, no wonder the cars are all rusted under the hood, etc.

HTH,

Porter