News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

bug screen

Started by Chad Oolman, July 06, 2005, 11:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Oolman

Can anyone provide me with sugestions on keeping the bugs off my 1958 Cadillacs grill?

The restoration should be finished soon, and I dont want to drive it anywhere without some protection over the grill.  I never want to have to clean it again!

If you are interested in the restoration, there are pictures posted at http://www.oolman.com/vehicles.html TARGET=_blank>www.oolman.com/vehicles.html

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Chad,

Drive in reverse.   Sorry, couldnt resist.

But, I have found that the only way to stop the bugs from sticking to the grill, or windscreen on anything is to drive slowly, never at night, dawn or dusk.

And always drive behind other vehicles.   This way, they get all the bugs, but you get all the stone chips.

The trouble with "bug Screens" is that the airflow into the radiator is slowed down, and the chance of the screen itself chafing on the grill is enhanced.

Better off just driving normally, avoiding corn fields, and keep it clean, after every drive.   There is nothing worse than "dried up bug splatter" to clean off.   Fresh "Bug Splatter", is easier, but messier.   Grasshoppers are a real pain to clean up.  

You could always leave the bugs there so the flies can clean it up for you.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Johnny

Great post Bruce!  I would also add try to hit only factory authorized bugs, so you dont lose any points in judging!