News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Puller

Started by Mike CLC 20973, July 08, 2005, 11:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike CLC 20973

Does anyone know where I can get a puller for the rear drums on my 1937 Cad?  Does anyone still make pullers for old cars?  

Bill Sullivan

Paul

Yes, they still make pullers.  I bought a new three jaw unit in the last five years from a tool supply outlet in my town.  It was expensive ($120) but it is very heavy duty and very well made.  It is tightened with a special spanner that you hit with a heavy hammer.  The jaws tie to the wheel lugs.  It removes the Cad hubs easily and safely -- it takes a lot of force to get these off, especially if they have been on there for many years.

I think you can also rent or just borrow one from a local auto parts store.  Most of the chains (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc.) offer tools like this.  All you need is a credit card deposit to use one, it is refunded when it is returned.

Check on the internet too, just google hub puller, that might generate a few leads.

Good luck, it is a must have tool for prewar Cadillac owners, there is no way to service the rear brakes without it.

Bill.