News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Air Cleaner...to change..?

Started by Jeff Gibson CLC #22264, July 08, 2005, 04:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gibson CLC #22264

I have a 56 4-door sedan series 62....with the oil filled air cleaner...I am thinking of changing this over to a "normal" air filter type breather..   the car is a real nice driver..wont ever be a "show car"...I am thinking this would be easier, and a lot less messy to maintain..      thoughts..??   pro or con..  if I were to change over ....where can I find the parts..??

Many thanks from a new CLC member.......Jeff

r parkinson clc 12511

I converted my 55 CDV to a conventional filter.  I made a large aluminum plate with a center hole to mount on the carb.  The top section of the original air cleaner sits on the plate and houses a normal filter.  Unless one is familiar with the 55 oil bath air cleaner they would never spot the modification.

Joe Abernathy #17524

I have changed them by taking the lid assembly and used a cutoff wheel just under (about 1/8") the lid to remove the breather part.  Once you have that off grind the under side of the lid smooth and clean up the oil mess.  Take it into your parts house and get a paper filter that will fit.  It is easy, works great and no one can tell the difference.

Randall McGrew CLC # 17963

So why change?  What are the problems with the oil bath air cleaner?

I suspect the answer is that it does not work as efficiently as the paper, or better yet, the K&N filters.  OK, so if I have answered the question myself,
how do you make the change without sacrificing the original batwing breather?

Jeff Gibson CLC#22264

As I said...this car will never be more than just a good driver...several people have told me to try and change this part.  There doesnt seem to be enough air getting to the carb, the mess of changing and cleaning the oil, the filter seems to be ragged and clogged with no way to get to it. I would definatley save all the batwing and parts associated....just was hoping to find a standard air "breather" assembly that would fit right over the 4 5/8" carb gasket and deliver more air and better performance to my girl..!!   Still looking though....any and all ideas are welcome......  thanks........Jeff

Kelly Hansen

I have two 1955 cadillacs which came with the oil bath cleaner.

If the original housing is the same as the 54 and 55s I have a clean easy solution.  Replace the orignal oil bath part with a modern carboard filter the Fram CA3725 fits just about perfect. I took the housing cleaned it really well and tried filters off the shelf until I found one with the best fit.

When you put the top 1/2 of the metal housing on it will set about and 1/8 of an ich higher that it did with the factory filter.  Since the filter itself will contact the top and bottom pieces of the housing there is a seal so all air is filtered. Both cars run great with the newer type filter.

This filter does not fit any of the newer cars so it may have to be ordered.  I live in Utah and have gotten them at Checker and Pepboys.

Althought I do not have one 1956 is my favorite year.  

Good l

Paul Flykt CLC # 18899

Every now and then eBay has 58 or newer air filters for a very reasonable price. They use a dry filter and will fit right on. If you want more airflow just drill a series of holes around the bottom of the housing outside the seal area of the filter.
I bought a very good 58 for less than $30 with shipping for my 57. The spun media in my 57s was breaking down and showing up in the oil bath so I switched to dry.

Kelly Hansen

The only advantage to my solution is that my cars appear totally original unless yu pull the cardboard filter out of the housing. You are keeping the upper and lower part (the housing) and only replacing to messy part with the straw like stuff in it.

Cost about $5.00 for the fram paper element.