News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

NEW INFORMATION FOUND!

Started by JIM CLC # 15000, July 09, 2005, 01:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JIM CLC # 15000

07-08-05
All, while looking in the book "La Salle", Cadillacs companion car. I found an error, its either in the book or my car. Maybe someone who has had their steering box apart can help me by letting me know what they have. The steering sector in my car has a plain "worm & pinion gears". The specifications in the afore mentioned book says that the 37, 38 and 39 have a "Sturdy-worm" and "double-roller type", with a steering ratio of 23.2 to 1. I have the slow steering for sure. Pretty damn slow.
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. The frame has not been modified and some other steering box installed.

JIM CLC # 15000

07-09-05
All; the "MOTORS AUTO REPAIR MANUAL" that I have has a  copyright date of 1951 and is the fourteenth edition,second printing.

Page 269 lists "Saginaw(6), steering sector for the 1937 to 1940 La Salle and some Cadillacs. However, the steering sector on my car is not the one called-for in the manual. It is more like the one shown on page 274, fig. 10, except my car has NO clamp on the column jacket, the column jacket is force-fit into the steering sector box.

Any one out there have a 1938 La Salle, that has had the steering sector apart and can verfy that it does or does not have the "roller" gear. ( mine only has the "worm and penion" gears).
Thanks for any help.
Good Luck, Jim