News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1996 Eldorado Squeaky Doors - Help

Started by Tim, July 09, 2005, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Anyone have experience in this area? Both of my doors in my 1996 Eldorado ( ETC ) squeak when the glass is all of the way up. I have lubed the rubber around the doors, however they still make an anoying squeak. Almost sounds as though the glass has too much pressure on it. Strange that both doors would have the same squeak. I welcome any advice. Thanks, Tim

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Very long, heavy coupe doors (and yours definitely fit that category) tend to sag with age which could cause the squeaks.  When opening the doors from the outside, check to see if they drop a bit as they move away from the body. There are ways to shore them up, but they are not always completely successful.
Also, check the weatherstripping.  If its really dry and crumbly, itll need replacing. If its just dry, douse it really well with a silicone lubricant and repeat every six months or so (also treat the weatherstripping around the hood and trunk...its unlikely to require replacement as its not explosed to the elemenets nearly as much as around the doors).

Tim

Thanks Rusty. I did take another look at the surrounding door/window rubber and foam molding and discovered that I had not applied scilicone spray to the upper areas of the door seals. I am on day two of a quiet vehicle again. Thanks for the tip and the response.
Tim