News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What is the best way to remove hood springs on a 40 Lasalle?

Started by Rich, July 11, 2005, 06:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

How do I remove hood springs on a 40 Lasalle . What tools do I need?  Thanks  Rich.

Barry Wheeler #2189

What body shell? If a Series 52, I may be able to help.

Bill Sullivan

I have a 40 model 50 and the spring assembly is easy to remove as a unit. Just need to support the hood with a stick when you and unbolt the assembly.  Adjust the hood so the springs are unstretched when you take out the bolts

On the bench, the springs will be nearly unstretched when the assembly is removed.  I took the springs off with a screwdriver, one at a time.  I put them back on with vice grips, if I remember.

These springs are nothing like the monsters that lift the hood on 1941 models and later.  Those are rather dangerous to handle.

I think the model 52 is about the same.  The spring assembly is mighty weak on my car, it will just barely hold the hood open about 25 degrees from horizontal.  I always carry a prop rod if I plan to do any serious work on the engine.  Perhaps my springs are tired, but I think most of these cars are that way.

Bill.

Rich