News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Exhaust System Vendors

Started by P W Allen CLC#20193, July 13, 2005, 05:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P W Allen CLC#20193

Hello all,

I am looking for some recommendations for some good, reliable exhaust system vendors if they exsist. Now my car, is a 53 Coupe with the Dynaflow. (Cadillac preferred to call it Twin Turbine)These cars have different pipes off of the manifolds than the cars with the Hydramatic. I just had (having)a bad experience with a vendor that claimed they knew the difference, but when the pipes arrived, they did not fit and now doesnt want to hear it, now that they have my money. Remembering forum rules against slamming vendors, I wont mention the name, but they are based in Florida. (eMail me)
Is there anybody out there that has had a GOOD experience with an exhaust vendor? How about Classic Exhaust that advertises in the SS? Thanks.

Paul
53 Coupe
Dynaflow

Barry Wheeler #2189

The "dean" of American swap meet exhaust systems guys is Burton Waldron in MI. He should still advertise in Hemmings if he is still kicking. I think I saw him last fall at the Indy Swap Meet. I have known him for thirty years or more.

P W Allen CLC#20193

Thanks Barry. I did find his ad in Hemmings. I will call in the morning. Will keep you posted.

Paul

Bill Sullivan

I got a system for my 37 LaSalle from Waldrons, based on a recommendation from this forum.  It was delivered promptly, fit very well, reasonable price.  I was very happy, especially after having a bad experience with another Florida vendor.  Need I say more?

Suggest you be pretty specific about the Dynaflow issue, that may be a tough one even for Waldron.  He relies on factory drawings and if he does not have one, you may need some custom work done.  Most towns do have good muffler shops that can put together a great system from scratch.  They do it all the time for motorhomes, trucks, old cars and the like.

Lars Kneller 8246

Ive used Classic Exhaust and am happy with their system.  I was also less than satisfied from an outfit in Florida.

Paul Flykt #18899

Classic Exhaust supplied the complete system for my 57. It was an easy install, everything fit.

Don Boshara CLC #594

The system I got from an outfit in Florida fit like a shirt on a shovel and the muffler looked like it was made by a 10 year old. I sent it back and had it made up locally.

P W Allen CLC#20193

First of all, much thanks to all that responded. Hindsight being 20/20, I was a fool not to investigate the Florida outfit before purchase. I have since found dozens of complaints about them.Idiot! Anyhow, I did call and talk to Mr. Waldron at Waldrons Exhaust. As soon as I mentioned the Dynaflow, he said "thats been a sore spot for years". He said the pipes were indeed different, but unfortunately he does not have the patterns for them and cant sell me somthing that he cant guarentee to fit. A VERY up front and professional guy. I was glad to talk to him.
I finally called Classic Exhaust. They know of the different pipes on the Dynaflow cars. They supply a 3 piece affair that you can adjust for clearences and then clamp or seal weld them. I opted for this and ordered them. So well see what happens.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Doug Houston

I too, bought a couple of systems from the Florida guy, and they didnt fit right. The 38-60S pipes were too long and, fortunately, could be cut to fit. The rear muffler has the brackets in the wrong places, and Ill need to change the hangers. One of our CLC members of many years had worked for Walker Muffler Co., and bought a system from Florida, which didnt fit right. The Florida guy told him that he didnt know how to install exhaust systems!

I have one of his systems on a 41 Chevy, and it went on with minimum changes. That car is a convertible, so the exhaust system is a bit tricky, but it has worked.

Ive gone to Classic Exhaust now, and there are stainless systems awaiting installation on my 41 Olds and 39 90 coupe. I dont anticipate problems.