News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 valve lifters and push rods

Started by Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192, July 15, 2005, 05:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Hi, Ive come across a problem on a newly rebuilt 1956 engine in my friends 56 sedan deville. It appears that either the pushrods and/or the valve lifters are too long. I cant find the dimensions in any of the literature that I own - does anyone there know the correct pushrod and valve lifter dimensions for a 56 engine ?
Thanks,
Phil Whyte

Mike

I had a similar problem on my 365 that I fixed; engine was rebuilt a few years ago, and since final restoration when I started to drive it more, I found I could not get a very good idle, plus I was getting lifter noises.  I ended up pulling the lifters and push rods, found a scored lifter, plus found that the rebuilder had shimmed the rocker arm assemblies.  Nothing in the manual says anything about doing that. When I checked the lifters, I found they were too long (likely why the rocker arm assemblies were shimmed), as the lifters were for a 57 engine, which are different from a 56.  So, I ordered the proper lifters, put in new push rods, got rid of the shims, and have a much better idling engine. The wrong lifters and shimmed rockers must have created some sort of valve timing overlap. Am not at home now, but I can find the invoice and part numbers for the lifters and rods if you like.  I suspect your lifters are the problem.

Paul Flykt #18899

When I overhauled the 365 in my 57 my parts supplier needed the engine # and length of the old pushrods. I was told the early engines used these parts left from 56. I have a low # 10,... I am not sure if it is only the pushrod that changed or the lifter also.
I will see if I can find an old pushrod and post the measurement.

Phil Whyte - CLC No. 14192

Thanks for your help, it looks like the pushrods are correct , so the new lifters are suspect !
Phil