News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1954-55 rear bumper ends

Started by Roger A. Zimmermann #21015, July 15, 2005, 12:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Some time ago, I entered a message in the "Buy/Sell" category, asking for a pair of 1954-55 bumper ends. Unfortunately, I got no answer.
Years ago, somebody offered these bumper ends made in aluminum. I bought one pair; unfortunalely, I lost the name of this supplier; therefore I dont even know if these reproductions are still available.
A good pair of bumper ends in steel & without rust holes would also be great.
Thank you for your help.

Roger

Warren Rauch

I got a  slinger from Bumper Boyz at a car show this spring.If patched and plated for $650 each or just plated at$750 each isnt too much . Their phone is 1-800-815-9009 exc Cal. Warren

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Have you tried e-Bay?  I found two sets for my 57 that way; prices seemed reasonable to me.

Johnny

The 54-55 bumper ends have always been expensive, because they are similiar to being victim of poor planning like the HT4100.  The bumpers were designed to accomodate the the rear exhaust pipes, which styling wise was great, but a disaster in practicality.  What would happen is that the heat of the exhaust would cause condensation which would lay in the bottom of the bumper and eventually would rust them out. Because of this very few bumpers survived the test of time.  I doubt if there are any originals left.  I remember years ago, there was talk of someone making repros, but I dont think it ever came to past.  The patch and rechrome seems to be the way to go. Keep in mind you still want to take measures to make sure the rusting doesnt happen again. There used to be inserts that were available to put between the pipe and the bumper to prevent this from happening.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Sorry guys, private message for Roger whose eMail I left at home:

Salut Roger, Gita et moi sommes a Genf jusquau 5 septembre.  On pourrait se faire une bouffe ?  Tu as notre eMail ?

Thank you Johnny for your comments. I know about the design; I have a 56 de Ville with the same design. Since I fabricated stainless steel exhaust ports, I have no problem with the bumper ends. The problem came once the ports were eaten by rust, letting the exhaust gas and condensation water go at the bottom of the bumper. Anyway, these cars were not built to stay any longer than 5 years, Cadillac wanted to sell new ones!

Regarding a buy with e-bay, no thanks! Im not at all a fan of this system; some may do good buys; the other ones are usually quiet when it goes wrong.

Roger

Hi Yann! Good to know that you are in Geneva/Switzerland (there is a Geneva in the USA if Im not wrong)!
Regarding your e-mail: the one in USA or the one in Geneva?
You can reach me at cadillac_parts@bluewin.ch
We could discuss the "details" on a more private basis!
Say hello to Gita, also from Christine!

Roger

JIM CLC # 15000

07-16-05
Roger, you are right, the other "Geneva" is in NY, near the "fingers-lakes".(NW part of the state)
Good Luck, Jim

Jack McClow CLC #15840

There is an article in the February 2005 issue of The Goddess, the newsletter from the Valley Forge Region, regarding the use of Exhaust Port Excutcheons for 1954 Cadillacs ....... this was a part designed by Cadillac in time for use on 1955 Cadillacs to solve the problem with condensation damage to the bumper ends ........ according to the article the excutcheons could be retro-fitted to 1954 cars as well, and, apparently, the February 1955 Serviceman Bulletin explains the procedure.  The article also claims these units are still available.

Charles D. Barnette #1465

The best solution to save these precious bumper ends is to reroute the tailpipes underneath the bumper end so that the tailpipe has nothing to do with the bumper end. It can be done discreetly so as not to be offensive looking. Judges should not count off for this. With prices to replace in the $750 range per bumper end, we should be allowed sme discretion here. The other thing about the 55 is the placement of the battery-against the firewall at street level on the passenger side. Charles

Bill Podany

Quote from: Roger A. Zimmermann #21015Some time ago, I entered a message in the "Buy/Sell" category, asking for a pair of 1954-55 bumper ends. Unfortunately, I got no answer.
Years ago, somebody offered these bumper ends made in aluminum. I bought one pair; unfortunalely, I lost the name of this supplier; therefore I dont even know if these reproductions are still available.
Thank you for your help.

Roger
Quote from: Roger A. Zimmermann #21015Some time ago, I entered a message in the "Buy/Sell" category, asking for a pair of 1954-55 bumper ends. Unfortunately, I got no answer.
Thank you for your help.

Roger

Bill Podany

Roger,
I own a 55 Eldorado; it is a 100 point national first prize winner from the CLC and AACA.  I drive the care when the weather is perfect.  One of my mechanics is a genius in his own right, and solved the problem of the exhaust ports getting eroded.  He cut and trimmed down two chromed exhaust pipes, which I had stored in my garage from a Harley Davidson, and he expertly  fitted them onto the exhaust pipe inside the Cadillacs exhaust port.  This is the perfect answer to a beautifully restored and authentic milestone automobile.

David Koewler

Found & followed this post, am in the same situation...
So it sounds like the thing to do on rotted bumper ends is to patch them and have them rechromed??

Mike Josephic #3877

Not to offend anyone, but I dont understand how you could fit a chrome piece over the tailpipe, put it through an Eldo bumper end and make it look right.  The Eldo bumper end is aluminum, of course, and the outer edge is not "flat" at the end where the pipe comes out.  A stainless steel insert is used on the standard steel / chrome bumper end for all other 55s and looks nice since the bumper end is "flat / squared-off" and the lip of the insert fits perfectly inside.

Also, I were judging, I would certainly deduct for running the tailpipe under the bumper end.  Its not the way they were made.

By the way, I also have a 55 Eldo.  If you have a picture you can post as to how you did this Id be interested.  Thanks,

Mike

James Mundstock

I have heard poor stories about Bumper Boyz. I have also heard a number do not like to deal with FEN because they are acting indpendent and doing you a favor but they do make reproductions and the last price I saw was $450.00 for unplated and $650.00 for plated. Good luck.

D.Yaros

Quote from: JIM CLC # 15000 on July 16, 2005, 02:24:37 PM
07-16-05
Roger, you are right, the other "Geneva" is in NY, near the "fingers-lakes".(NW part of the state)
Good Luck, Jim

Pardon my coming late to the party, and let me add that there is also Geneva, OH, the birthplace of Ransom Elii Olds.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Roger, I know that I have one of the aluminium 54 55 bumper ends as a spare [don't know which side and I may have the opposite side used. I own a 54 and am in to minds wheher to sell them - we can talk
Phil

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I forgot to mention - they are in England and so am I ! Hope that's not a problem. Luxury and Power made the ali repros and they are long gone now. I did see a company n the USA selling ali epros , but I have had experience of them and wouldn't go near them ever again.
Phil

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Phil, that old thread that got dug up for some reason is 4 YEARS OLD. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Crikey !! so it is - I've just seen the dates!!
Phil