News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Seller says probably the best car on Ebay

Started by Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397, July 17, 2005, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Take a look at Ebay item 4562949189, a 40-5027 LaS coupe, which the seller says is "probably the best car listed on Ebay".

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Well, seeing as the seller has a feedback of only one, then one could assume that he hasnt yet seen all the cars that ludvg has been trying to palm off to the buying public.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bill Sullivan

Yikes, I have one. I always thought it was worth millions.  Ill take Pay Pal......

Actually, these are very nice and rare cars, especially the coupes -- but I have seen several of them on E-bay over the last few years.  I think there more than 17 of them left, though who really knows for sure....

Jeff Hansen

I exchanged emails with this guy back on June 22.  He wanted to know the production statistics for the coupe and how to determine which series LaSalle he had.  I explained to him how to read the body plate and helped him decode it.  Small world.

Jeff

Frank J.

I know nothing about LaSalles but a couple general comments after just a quick view of his photos:

Trunk dirty, missing factory cardboard, jack & spare out of place
Headliner & seats stained
Steering wheel cracked - missing center horn crest button
Door panels stained
Engine painted flat black (even the carb) - very unimpressive
Cheapo hose clamps, etc.
Older tires that have met many curbs
Screwed up "boogered" wiring
Cheapo EArl Scheib paintjob with more runs than the Olympics and more orange peel than Anita Bryant
Off-kilter windshield wipers

What is this LaSalle Club of America and did this car really win a prize at one of their shows?

Maybe the seller is a brother of luvdg?

"THIS IS A 1940 MODEL 5027 2 CADILLAC LASALLE PASSENGER COUPE. PAINT IS #1 BLACK TRIM IS #21 TAN RIBBED BROADCLOTH. 1525 OF THIS MODEL 2 COUPES WERE BUILT IN 1940. BODY NUMBER #213 WAS A EARY PRODUCTION MODEL IN 1940. 17 KNOWN COUPES ARE REMAINING AT THIS TIME. THIS IS PERHAPS THE BEST CAR LISTED ON EBAY WITH WHO KNOWS HOW HIGH THE BIDDING WILL GO .ONE OF 17 COUPES LEFT IN THE WORLD AND A PRIZE WINNER OF THE LASALLE CLUB OF AMERICA.THERE ARE SOME 4 DOORS LEFT BUT NONE IN THIS CONDITION. THIS MASTERPIECE WAS REPAINTED 5 YEARS AGO ALWAYS MAINTAINED. PAINT IS IN GOOD CONDITION BUT NEEDS TOUCH UPS TO BE SHOW QUALITY. YOU CAN NOT EVEN HERE THE ENGINE RUNNING. THE ENGINE IS ALL ORIGINAL ,WITH ALL FINE TUNING DONE.ALL NUMBERS ARE MATCHING ON THE CAR .YOU ARE PROTECTED BY EBAYS BUYER PLAN TO $20000 . PLACE YOUR BIDS AND DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!!!!! THERE ARE KNOW STORIES THIS IS AN INVESTMENT IN ONE OF THE GREATEST CARS EVERMADE A REAL TANK."

Andrew 10642

I agree with your observations, but at least the guy showed close up photos that clearly show the problems.  The car is good looking for being 65 years old.  Maybe he meant "best on Ebay currently"

Doug Houston

Probably the best one HEs seen! The engine itself looks a bit hokey. I couldnt make out a vacuum advance on the distributor, but 1940 was the year it was resumed. The fuel line from the pump to the carb, and the in-linr filter seem precariously close to the exhaust manufold.

The plug wire supports are later than 40; actually 41 and later. I have a hunch that the engine has been replaced, but why no vacuum control?

I further suspect that the undeside of the car is a grungy as the engine compartment. Bets, anyone?