News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 No Brakes!!!

Started by Jason J. Madson, July 19, 2005, 08:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason J. Madson

Hey all, its been a while, and its good to be back...
     Anyway after a long winter of storage, my brake pedal goes all the way to the the floor, with little or no stopping power.  At first inspection, there was no fluid in the master cylinder, but no  leaks on the garage floor.  Topped off the master cylinder, and the same thing.  Adjusted and bled the brakes at all 4 wheels, still nothing.  Well next to nothing, I can stop the car at less than walking speed when just moving it around in the garage, but only in the last inch or so of pedal travel right at the floor.  The vacuum boost seems to work OK as the pedal depresses easily when the car is running, and about 3 times after its shut off. So my assumption is it must be in the master cylinder?  Replace, Rebuild, just the master cylinder, or the whole vacuum unit and all?  My particular car has the Bendix unit, too by the way.  Thanks in advance for any advice...
Jason

Mark

If you are looking for a recommendation for a good rebuilder check out Ed Strain Inc in Florida.

Ralph Williams, CLC # 18472

I had the same thing happen to my 59.  

As it turns out, the seals in the rear of my master cylinder had failed and the brake fluid was leaking into the booster.  Thats why I saw no fluid on the floor.  I removed the booster and emptied the fluid out and bought a hone and rebuild kit for the master cylinder from NAPA.  It was very easy to hone out the imperfections in the cylinder and install the rebuild kit.  

I reinstalled the master cylinder and bled the brakes at all four wheels.  My brakes have worked great for two years now.

Hope this helps.

Ralph
55 60S
59 SDV

Craig Greene

get to a mechanic via tow truck ASAP.

Donte

Hey Guys & Gals

I had the same thing happen to my 1960 Series 62 Conv.  However the car was not in my Garage it was comming off the Transporter and the Driver felt like there were no brakes.  As a result he paniced found himself looking to put the car in park or tring the emergency brake! He had the Driver side door opened and it got hung up on the Transporter, and bent the door all the way back! around towards the front fender.

#1 things, the Transporter Company is saying it is not there fault because the brakes went out! and thats why the door was damaged! So it is my problem  (What there not taking in consideration is that this Prestine 60 had been up and down this Transporter Truck 3 to 4 other times and worked perfect!) Comming from Florida to California, The accident happened in there  yard in Fort Worth.  I beleive there is neglegence and there saying no way! my problem there not taking the responsibilty! Any suggestions? or comments?

#2 thing, Does any body know of someone reliable in Fort Worth TX that I could count on to give me the Real Deal on the brakes Fix them if needed, in order to get my car to Califronia where I live?

Thanks in advance!