News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

85 El Dorado Dashboard Question

Started by Mike, July 19, 2005, 11:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I have an 85 El Dorado Biarittz with digital dash. Its out and the climate control reads 15 and the fuel economy display reads 99. Why?? Please help. Thanks.

wm link

Have you voted on the bent wrench issue? Anyway, to be honest...I dont really know the answer here other than "early electronics" maybe. If you have had any electrical issues, dead battery, bad battery, LOW battery, jump start, short, ect. that could explain the failure. Make sure your battery cable connections are clean. Good chassis ground too. does the car have the factory radio or an aftermarket?

brian rachlin

Try taking the batter negative wire off for a few minutes, then re-attach.  It may "reboot" your cars computer.  Its hard to say if its the display or the computer causing the problem.

If you try a different computer, you have to change the prom, which is different for the digital dash from the standard dash.

Good Luck,

Brian

Pat

My 84 digital dash fuel gauge indicates 25 gallons when the tank is filled up even though the tank is only 20.3 gallons.  The fuel range also calculates miles to empty based on a 25 gallon fuel tank.  I must use the trip gage to monitor fuel consumption.  When the battery dies, the trip gauge resets to zero which causes total pandemonium.

The best part is when the tank is going to zero, the fuel gauge instantly goes from 7, to 5, to -----, and it is only “Seconds From Disaster”.  My experience is going to be a subject of a National Geographic documentary.

David #19063

LOL!

Pat, I know what you mean.  The digital dash in my 85 Toronado Caliente would never even get to empty, it would still have one or two digital hash marks still lit and shed run out of gas...really annoying.  Plus, it would stay on Full until about 7 gallons or so were used up.

The digital gas gauge on my 94 Fleetwood Brougham is about as bad, stay on full near forever and I had better get gas when there are two hash marks left!

Now the digital gas gauge on my wifes 96 Concours is better, it reads out the gallons in numbers and is more accurate, however the MPG calculator 9 out of 10 times reads high...I think the factory does that on purpose to make people think they are getting better gas mileage.

David

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Do you also have a "check engine" yellow light?   The way to reset the diagnostic codes is to press the OFF and Higher Temp (red) button on the climate control head at the same time. Hold until two dots appear on climate control temp display ..  Release and unit will cycle through the trouble codes twice, typical codes are 13, 23, 33 etc. it will stop on 70 when it is complete. You then press OFF and High Fan button at the same time and it should reset the climate control. You then press any other climate control button such as AUTO and the engine check engine light should go off.  Compare the codes that you read, with shop manual and you will know what caused issue in the first place.  If this procedure doesnt work  you probably will have to replace climate control head/display unit.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

I forgot to add you perform the function with the engine running.
Also, check your fuse box, a blown "BODY" Fuse can cause havoc with climate control. Usually caused by one of the cigarette lighter sockets having corrosion or debris in it, shorting out Body fuse.  My wife had a piece of earring in her front ashtray that popped into an open lighter socket (used for cell phone recharging), that created all kinds of neat stuff. Most notably was reversing the dome light function. Lights went on when doors closed!

Johnny

From the day I picked up my 85 Eldo the outside temp gives the temp in celsius.  How do I switch it to Farehenheit?

Milo Glantz

why didnt you take it back and get it fixed when it was under the factory warranty?

JIM CLC # 15000

07-22-05
Johnny, if you have the owners-manual, the instruction should be in it. ( I have an owners manual for a 86), ILL look and see if its something simple.
Good Luck, Jim

JIM CLC # 15000

07-22-05
Johnny, I checked my 86 owners manual and it does not cover the 85 or el Dorado altho it may give a hint of what to do. Look for a E/M button and press it once with the engine running,or ign. switch on. BUT be sure to check the instrment panel to make sure that something you wanted in ENGLISH didnt change to Metric.If this happens,just press the button again.
Johnny, it is a puzzle to me why you put-up with the "metric"read-out for all of these years. Could the saleing dealer do nothing for you? It may be that it is missed-wired.
HTH Good Luck, Jim

Johnny

Quote from: Milo Glantzwhy didnt you take it back and get it fixed when it was under the factory warranty?

I have a phobia about getting something repaired that involves the dashboard, unless its absolutely necessary, because I think once they get into the dash, things never are really the same again. My wife has a 04 Buick Rendezvous, and the climate control display isnt working right, its not bright enough.  I had it back twice for repairs and they still havent fixed it.  Since I lease the car, and its not that big a deal, I dont push to get it repaired.   I am thankful that the only "problem" I have had with my 85 Eldo is the flawed temperature reading.

Johnny

Quote from: JIM CLC # 1500007-22-05
Johnny, it is a puzzle to me why you put-up with the "metric"read-out for all of these years. Could the saleing dealer do nothing for you? It may be that it is missed-wired.
HTH Good Luck, Jim

Hi Jim.....I answered this in the previous post.  I just didnt want the dash gotten into, and it was no big deal getting the outside temp in Celsius.

brian rachlin

Di you know there is a Metric/English switch on the dash?

Brian

Johnny

Quote from: brian rachlinDi you know there is a Metric/English switch on the dash?

Brian

Not on my 85.  Keep in mind I dont have a "digital dash".  I am referring to the digital readout on the climate control.

brian rachlin

I would try a different display unit.  You may have one out of a car that had the wrong one in it.

Brian