News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 dash pad removal

Started by rex crews #18304, July 21, 2005, 11:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex crews #18304

Hi, Guys and Gals,

I am trying to remove the instrument cluster from my very nice 1959 Coupe de Ville.  I am unsure, even having read the shop manual, about the removal of the upper dash pad and cluster.  The steering column does not drop down easily after removing the u-clamp nor do I want to mess anything up on this nice car.  Has someone done this job who can give me some advice?  You may email me directly or call me (919) 740 -5519.  Any help is appreciated!

Rex Crews

Steve

Easy.

Disconnect speedometer cable - reach under dash near brake pedal and it unscrews.

Next disconnect the tripodometer cable - it is near the bottom of the dash - near the drivers ashtray.  Take off brown knob and use wrench to unscrew.

Then remove 2 special chrome screws on bottom of steering column - use baby vise grips.  You need to remove your PRNDL so it doesnt break - a lot of people forget to do this.

Remove 4 screws under dash near radio speaker - and then there should be one screw under each vent / heater controls.  

You might have a screw next to your pod near headlight switch.  

Remove rear view mirror unless you think you are really good and wont scratch the dash pad.

Since this is your first have a friend help - you in driver seat - friend in passenger seat.  Pull the dash pad toward you and up a couple inches.  Take a yellow pages phone book and put it on top of your radio.

Now you need to unhook your headlight switch.  There are push in connections for each side of your speedometer - right and left - pull outwards - pull firmly.

** Watch how the dash meets up with the 3 grabbers under the dash to help for when you reinstall it.  

Then out comes your dash.  

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

I find that it is easier to remove the Steering Wheel when I remove the Dash in my 60.

The complete dash unit is a bulky unit and you need as much space as you can get.

I also find it is easier to remove the wiring loom plugs at the firewall and pull everything out as one.

Dont forget the Autronic Eye wiring as well.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

rex crews #18304

Thanks to you both for you helpful replies.  My main probelm so far is that the steering column will not drop down.  It seem to be hung on the metal trim piece on the lower dash between the heat and a/c controls.  Should I just remove the wheel?  I am beginning to think I can do this!

Thanks,

Rex

rex crews

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.  If I can just get the steering column to drop down, Ill be in business!

Regards,

REx

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Whatever you do, dont try to drop the steering column down as it isnt designed to pivot as the firewall mount is fixed in position.   If you do, you run the risk of damaging the fibre steering joint.

Removing the steering wheel is a simple task, if you have a puller, and if not, dont try to bash the wheel off the spline.   It is easy to construct your own puller out of a couple of pieces of 1/4 steel and three bolts. (two to hold, and one to pressure the end of the shaft.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV