News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dales latest project

Started by Bill Kapoian, July 23, 2005, 06:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Stamps 19507

"No disparaging remarks against other writers, Club members, vendors, or any other person are allowed."

I can assume from your header that you think you are a better member than Dale.  But wait we have this also:

"CLC members placing messages are asked to indicate name and CLC membership number, so other readers will know which writers are CLC members."

So Im guessing that you arent even a member of the CLC yet you come here to put down those of us that are.  It takes a real man to  make themselves feel better at others misfortune.

Stampie

Brian Campbell

Would anyone really attempt to restore this car?

Brian Campbell

JIM CLC # 15000

07-25-05
All, Brian, IVE seen sickers dogs then that get well!
Good Luck, someone will, Jim

Mike #19861

Being one of the "Holy Grail" 53 Eldorados, I think there is a fair chance it will be restored. There have been more ambitious projects out there.

But, the cost would far exceed its value, even in this day of $100K+ values put on these cars.

Does anyone know how many of these cars still exist? There was, what, 502 of them built?

Mike

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Joe Abernathy #17524

dale jackson

Hi, This Is first time I written on the cadillac board Since noveber of 2004.  I tryed to  get an life becides my 1960 or 1962 cadillacs in nove 2004. I was totolly oppressed with my 1960 and 1962 cadillac back in those days. It drove me nuts for so long. I Had to go and try something new for once.

You see I Built my dream Life becides restoring my 1960 eldo I love so much. Me and another man Built an used car lot called autos of texas in houston. I was living my dream buying and selling so many cars. It was fun and stressful and I had real bad chest pains in march 2005. I thought I was going die. I was working 80 to 90 hours an weak as an used car dealer. We bought and sold maybe 50 or 100 or more cars?  I lost track . It was fun driving all those cars with repos, auctions,etc.

I wish I never melt that man I was working with as an bussiess parter. When I started out I had 60000 bucks in bank I was going spend on my 1960 cadillac. He stole it all from me and wants to pay me back 30000 over next 5 years or never. My car lot going go bust since my parter is an thief and the cost of rent etc and overhead is very expensive. I even bought an real nice 1957 chevy I was going finish the restore and keep it. I love those cars becides cadillac. It was stolen and I lost 14500 cash in that deal. It was on jacks and had an serval cars around. I was removing tar from under car.  It was stolen and police could not believe They used jacks and had spin the around backwards and sideways to remove the car. They drove thru an fence to get it. My freinds say it was inside job thinking my parter or employess stole it. I never know for sure. No insurece to cover it since I just bought it.

Stampie you said my cadillacs were an misforture for me. I am about lose everything I own. My house and car lot. I lost car lot already. I am going hire an lawyer to help me. My parter is trying everything like stealing cars titles etc . Thats worst thing to do to an person to take all stuff from them and make them totally dissolte and cant get an job to pay for there house or stuff they need to live.  

I know this sounds sad but my back insurce settlement is gone. I am almost broke and i had sell my 2002 envoy last molnth to pay bills etc. I am stuck driving an 1994 ford exploer with over 213000 miles on to get around.

I dont know what do next in my life since I dont have job skills to get an job. I am trouble big time and going broke. I dread the day My money is completely gone.

Thanks Stampie and Joe for standing up for me and thinking about my misforture I keep having. I cant give up like I have in last monlth by staying in my room for last monlth.

I sold My 62 eldo but I still have that 1960 eldo with all parts. I got sell that 60 at huge loss it seams. My Cadillac misforture is nothing compared to my car lot and house problem. My parter called me last week and said he wants shut down since He cant buy cars since I stoped buying cars for him to sell. I may lose it all. I hope my lawyer will help fast.  

Have fun and thanks to all and please pray for an break for me . I need it bad and no more misforture for me. Dale jackson

Pete Milligan

Dale - I am going to pray for you, please find a nice house of worship and look to God to help you.

Keep repeating this.

God grant me the
Serenity to accept
the things I cannot change...
Courage to change
the things I can
and Wisdom to
know the difference.

Recovering alcoholic since 1998

brian rachlin

Dale,

I had a similar experience with a partner in a used car business in the late 70s.  I went into business with a guy that owned a body shop, and we were fixing up, buying and selling cars, specializing in older cars and collectibles.  We bought and sold a lot of Caddys, 55-58 Chevies, some muscle cars, Mustangs, and a few late model pieces too.

After about the first year, it started to got bad between us, and eventually, I left, and walked away from the business, and owed about $10,000 to my mother who lent me the money to go into "business" with this guy.  

My cars are a hobby, and I occasionally buy and sell a car here and there to make some extra bucks to put into my little collection.

I hope things get better for you in the near future.

Brian

Denise 20352

Commenting only on the car...

I cant tell what it is that is being sold.  If its the "burn" in the middle, it looks like it has one good tail light lens, and thats about it.

-denise

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

Matt Larson has thoroughly reasearched the 53 Eldorado.  The (known) survivors are listed here :

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/el53tabl.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Dbas_txt/el53tabl.htm

The list evolves daily, so if you know of any others, Matt will gladly add them to the roster.

George Paraskevas

Seller refuses to provide body tag info.

Yann Saunders, CLC #12588

I would say thats a BAD sign. Might he release the engine number?  Perhaps also the car does NOT have its original body tag (or engine) anymore.  Beware.  BEWARE !

Joe Meneghin

Granted not my type of car, but I would restore a car in that type of condition,  I would jump on a 59 convertible in that kind of shape.  My 60 convertible was in worse shape than that and Im out in the garage every day, busting my butt to get this car back together.  

Bill Kapoian

How many hours invested, are you retired?

Quote from: Joe MeneghinGranted not my type of car, but I would restore a car in that type of condition,  I would jump on a 59 convertible in that kind of shape.  My 60 convertible was in worse shape than that and Im out in the garage every day, busting my butt to get this car back together.  

Joe Meneghin

No, Im not retired.  Just someone that has time and patience to work on a car like that.

Whats your point?   Any car in that kind of shape should be scrapped because its not a good financial decision or may take a long  time to complete?

Bill Kapoian

Just curious, I have a neighbor with a barn load of Chevys that he is always tinkering with, hes retired and his wife even helps.  I quite frankly dont think that particular 53 is worth saving, rather it should rest in peace like the Titanic.  I think it would financially ruin the restorer and take thousands of hours to restore.

Quote from: Joe MeneghinNo, Im not retired.  Just someone that has time and patience to work on a car like that.

Whats your point?   Any car in that kind of shape should be scrapped because its not a good financial decision or may take a long  time to complete?

David #19063

Hello,

I have a couple acquantances here that buy 65-66 GTO Convertibles in little better condition than that, restore them less than a year, and consistantly sell them for $45,000 - $50,000.

David

Joe Meneghin

Well, I wont say I enjoy doing bodywork, but when I make a repair, I get a sense of accomplishment doing it.  

Im working on the frame  on my 60 now.  I would estimate it will take me $1200 and 1500 hours to finish the body work on my 60 convertible.  

So, the net result is if I calculated my time at maybe $.05 an hour, I would make a profit on this car.  But again,  I dont look at it in terms of my time.

That eldo on ebay would be good for someone like me.   I doubt someone could find a body shop that would even want to take on a car like that. And if they did, I bet the bodywork alone with paint would be about $30k.

As the other poster pointed out, alot of it as to do with the car.  To me, a car like that is worth saving.  And obviously based on the bidding,  someone else thinks  so too.