News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

ELDO wheel weights

Started by Viator, July 25, 2005, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator

Hello; Long neck wheel wts. need to be used on a lot of Cadillacs because of hub cap interference.  I have a 04 SUV W/ mag. wheels.  The factory used a stick on wt. on the flat area of the rim.  Its out of the way and cant be seen.  The adhesive is very strong, the wt. should stay on forever.  Do you think this would work for the Caddys too.  The wt. can be located at the inside or outside edge of the rim.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Viator,

Firstly, I have used the stick-on weights on my 60 CDV for years, and have never had one come off or slip.

I make sure that the surface where the weight has to be applied is clean and free from grease and contaminents by spraying the surface with BrakeKleen or Prepsol, and stick the weights on the rim  where the base of the tyre bead sits.

On the inside of the rim, I just use the normal steel wheel knock-on weights.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dick Heller

I put all my cars wheels weights on the inside of the rim, and the tires do not shake.

Dick

Jeff

Anyone have misc. eldo wheel weights for sale?  I need a variety of weights, but dont want to buy 4 boxes.

Jeff
65 DeVille Conv.

Jeff

Previous message had my wrong e-mail address.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Jeff,

Have a talk to Porter as he purchased a heap of different sizes a couple of weeks back.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Charlie Schumacher

Viator - Stafford Tire on 3 West does a nice job of balancing all of my Cadillac and Lincoln wheels as I insist that the weights be on the inside to avoid interference with the hubcaps.  On my 03 STS, I wanted the weights out-of sight on the chrome wheels so I also had the tires rebalanced with the weights on the inside.  With the weights on the inside, one does not get the rust drippings and the chrome wheels are easier to clean.

Charlie

BOB DIEDERICH

GET THE STICK ON TYPE THAT ARE USED ON THE MAG TYPE WHEELS YOU CAN USE THEM ON THE RAISED AREA OF THE RIM BEHIND THE HUB CAP.PEOPLE THAT HAVE USED THEM SEEM VERY HAPPY WITH THEM.

BOB D CLC 16618

Porter 21919

I bought .5, 1.0 & 1.5 oz weights here, 25 each, so I have a lifetime supply now for $ 45 shipped. They are the CAX type, I have a 66 CDV.

http://www.alltiresupply.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.alltiresupply.com/

Most guys here claimed you cant get them anymore.

Porter

Dennis

Remember, when balancing a wheel/tire combo, you need to understand what is happening.

For a static balance, you can do this on one of those $1.99 tire balancers available from JC Whitney.  but it will only compensate for a heavy spot on the wheel/tire and really only produces a 50percent solution, which is fine for a trailer tire.

The preferred method of balancing a wheel/tire combo is a highspeed dynamic balance which will give you a reading down to the 10th of an ounce vs 1/4 of an ounce. But truth be known depending on the placement location of the applied weight will be a difference between 51percent and 100percent solution.  A dynamic balance balances the X and Y axiss(?) of the combo (straight up 90 degrees perpendicular to the axle and the other is across the furthest left to the opposite furthest right planes of the combo.  The downside leading to a less than 100percent perfect balance is that if you need weights, they need to be applied to the fartheset outside planes; meaning clip them on the rim at the precise apex of the counter-balance location.  However, when using peel and stick weights, you should insure that if they are used, they are centered to the furthest outside edge of the rim as practical. Practical meaning if you dont want to see the weight or being prohibited because of rim design.

Balancing a tire does two things.  Prevents tire wear and improves ride comfort and in some very rare instances, could even lead to a dangerous condition.

I hope the above overview of tire balancing can be of help to those torn between the traditional and sometimes rare clip on weights and the peel and stick weights.

Regards,

Dennis

PS.  By the way, there is one minor downside to peel and stick weights.  When rebalancing or getting new tires, when your tire technician removes the old peel and stick weights, it will leave a glue infused foam backing that can be a real ***** to remove, but it has to be removed.  So, itll pay to be nice to your tire tech when asking him/her to use the necessary means to safely remove the leftover glue spot.

dd