News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

selling cars

Started by Paul Saether, mem #10845, July 28, 2005, 06:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Saether, mem #10845

What techniques have brought you good luck selling antique Cadillacs?  E-bay?  Internet listings?  Grand National car corral?  The self-starter?

I have a very nice 69 Sedan deVille, a car that I know is not a "hot" item, but is very nice.  Every CLC member who looks at it is impressed with the car.  So far have had no luck selling it.  

Car will be in the car corral in Des Moines unless work pulls me away at the last minute.

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

From my perspective as both a buyer and seller it is always essentially thing: 1. How rare is the car? 2. Is it priced to sell? 3. Is there a market demand. Most of us as owners have a figure in mind we want to get for the car. That often cant or wont take into consideration the three items listed above. I have 53 Series 62. Not rare, in great shape, low mileage. I have had people offer me five thousand thinking I would just sell it to them because they said so and I have had people offer me twenty thousand because they really wanted it. Its not for sale so it doesnt matter either way. If I am buying and its a care I want I offer a fair price based on factors above as well as info out on the web such as The Gold book and Kellys Antique car listings. Look at the current market for Corvettes. How nuts is that? 200K for a 1966 Big block, rare optioned. Not in my lifetime, but I bet somebody will buy it. To sell a car in my opinion its a business decision, not an emotional decision. If you have strong emotional ties to the car you are more apt to price it high. If it cant meet a buyers protocol it will take a long time to sell. Look on EBay and the selling books. On EBay an advantage is to see if it sold or didnt make the reserve. Most overpriced cars wont sell or the buyer backs out after seeing the car. All in all if its priced right and there is demand it will sell within a few months time. My thoughts. Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Paul,

I have found that the following criteria applies in any market place.

When I want to sell, nobody wants to buy, but, when I want to buy, nobody wants to sell, for what I can afford.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV