News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 Rocker Molding Clips

Started by Jim A., August 01, 2005, 09:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim A.

Does anyone know where I can get 41 Model 62 coupe rocker molding clips?  The car had wood screws holding the top edges to the body, and that cant be right!  What did these clips look like, and is anyone reproducing them?  Thanks in advance...

Bob Schuman, #254

I dont know of a source for the correct clips, but sheet metal screws driven into the rocker panel so that the top edge of the rocker molding will hook over the screws is a good substitute, and the screws are completely hidden after the molding goes on the car.
Bob Schuman

Porter 21919

They have a book with an assortment of fasteners and clips, maybe you can adapt something.

Or try Restoration Specialties, 814-467-9842 , get their catalogue or they need a sample to match.

HTH

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Jim,

Page 35 of the August Self Starter has the following:
1929-41 Screws, Nuts, bolts and clips.
Auto Hardware Speciatlies
3123 McKinley, Sheldon IA 51201...No phone given

Also try Dave at Restoration Specialties and Supplies in PA
814-467-9842. I’ve done a lot of business with Dave and their items and service are top shelf.
HTH,
Ralph

Bill Ingler CLC# 7799

Jim- I know of no one who has reproduced nor do I know any parts houses including all that have been named so far, who have the clips. A friend who also has a 41 and I looked for several years at Hershey plus Restoration Specilaties with no luck. Bob Schuman has a good suggestion with the screws or you might use several small strips of thin sheet metal attached length wise to the rocker and slip the rocker molding over and down on the sheet metal strips. This holds the rocker molding at the top. Then take about a 1/2 inch wide x 2-3 inch stip of the same gauge sheet metal,bend a small hook in one end and hook that end to the inside bottom of the molding and bend the other end of that small sheet metal strip under the rocker panel and attach with a sheet metal screw.You might need about 4 of these along the bottom of the molding. I used this method to attach the rocker moldings on my 47. I did find the correct 41 clips on ebay about 2 years ago only because someone years ago had written on the package as to what was inside.

Doug Houston

This is an old problem, and I solved it thusly on the three 41-62s that I have:

The molding is held on at the top with the elusive clips. Its held on at the bottom with sheet metal screws and spacing washers. I had the same problem: no clips. So I formed the bottom lip of the molding upward slightly so that when the sheet metal srews on the bottom lip tightened, the molding was pulled against the rocker at the top, without needing clips. It worked like gandbusters, and never got loose. You should use 7/16 fender washers on the attaching screws on the lower lip of the molding.

Those cars were restored, all before 1977.

Jim A.

Thank you all for the suggestions.  I did try Restoration Specialties, as well as everyone else listing clips and moldings in the Cadillac Parts Locating Guide, and no one had ever seen one to be able to identify it.  So, you are the only person to know what this elusive part looked like.  I will try the sheetmetal solution, and secure the bottom with rubber backed fender washers and sheetmetal screws - you really cant see those unless youre under the car.  Ill let you know how it came out!

Thanks again for the help - greatly appreciated!