News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Antique or Classic

Started by Ty #22330, August 03, 2005, 01:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty #22330

I am wondering if my 37 is considered an antique, a classic antique, or what exactly. Being new to the hobby the terms are confusing to me. Does it have something to do with Pre vs Post war or is there some age bracket that changes with time?
Thank you.

Doug Houston

First, I dont know which series your 37 is. That will bear on this answer.

The term Classic as applied to automobiles is the accepted term used by the Classic Car Club of America (CCCA). To deserve that title, the car must be of a superior stature, the product of advanced technology and quality. The original price is a factor, but, while important, does not always decide.

For Cadillac, the accepted Classics are: All V8 cars from 1925 (cars identical to 1925 before 1925 also), through 1935. All LaSalles from 1928 thru 1933. All V12 and V16 models. All 70,75, V8 thru 1937. All 75 thru 1948. 72 from 1940. Series 60S thru 1947, 62,63,67 from 1940 thru 1947. Before taking the above too seriously, read the CCCA handbook. I probably have some inaccuracies!

Anyway, the term Classic means the very highest form of car known. Age does not make a car a classic, much as many think it does. Were that so, Model Ts would be classics!

So, if you have a 37 series 70, 75, 80,85 or 90, You got a classic car!

Ty #22330

Many thanks Doug: So my 37 8519 (being a V-12 sedan)is a classic. Does that mean I have a classic antique? Where does the term antique actually apply?

George Woodford clc21025

DMV Virginia registers cars as antique or classic.  There is a difference in definition here in this case.  Antiques cars are 25 years or older and registered with an antique tag issued by DMV.  It is a permanent registration as long as you own the car.  Safety and emissions inspections are not required.  Classic cars are 25 years or older and registered with the corresponding year Virigina tag for the year of your car; you bring a tag to DMV for registration.  I seem to recall the registration is permanent, too.  Safety inspection is a yearly requirement for your classic car, but an emissions inspection is not required.  The rules for driving antique and classic cars may be different, but I would have to check.  Rules for driving antique cars in Virginia is very reasonable.  Rules in other states vary!  Insurance may differ for classic verses antique cars.  Antique cars are insured for an established value agreed between you and your insurance company.  I am not sure in the case of classic cars.  I do not have any classic cars; mine are all antique.  They are 1976, 1977, and 1978 Cadillacs.  Keep in mine that the insurance company may void your policy in case of an accident, if you were driving your antique car not within the rules for antique cars for the state it is registered.

Ty #22330

Many thanks George:
This will also help me ask correct questions of Marylands DMV.
I have not registered the car yet for a new title and tags. I like the idea of original year tags and hope Maryland will do the same thing and I will be searching for 1937 Maryland tags. I guess I must have an insurance policy before I go to DMV.

The car has 1989 Maryland Historic tags on it now from the previous owner.

Johnny

Quote from: Ty #22330Many thanks George:
This will also help me ask correct questions of Marylands DMV.
I have not registered the car yet for a new title and tags. I like the idea of original year tags and hope Maryland will do the same thing and I will be searching for 1937 Maryland tags. I guess I must have an insurance policy before I go to DMV.

The car has 1989 Maryland Historic tags on it now from the previous owner.

Looks like you brought up another designation for classic/antique cars......historic.

In general terms classic is usually applied to something such as a film, car, furniture etc, that defines that particular thing as to the best of its particular class.  An antique is usually simply anything that is old.  Thats the simplified definitions.  As you get more into a particular thing such as a car, depending on who you are talking to, there are other factors to determine what you have.  Insurance companies usually say a car that is 20-25 years old fills the requirement for antique insurance.  Individual states for the most part, use any of the terms for the special plates for older cars.  I have seen classic, antique and historic designations used on different plates from different states.

Ty #22330

Johnny: Many thanks for the additional information. Perhaps Historic tags for the State of Maryland are what I will have to go with. But, I would like to use those old 37 plates.

Johnny

Quote from: Ty #22330Johnny: Many thanks for the additional information. Perhaps Historic tags for the State of Maryland are what I will have to go with. But, I would like to use those old 37 plates.

The two most important legal documents/requirements are insurance and tags/registration.  Everyones situation is different depending on how they intend to use their car, because Antique Insurance and registration usually come with restrictions.  Check the restrictions for both, then make your decision.  Antique insurance usually has mileage and use restrictions.  The car is usually only to be used for pleasure, no school, work or shopping.  Depending on the company you go with, the mileage per year is around 2,000.

With Antique/Classic/Historic tags, each state has their own restrictions, which again usually involves use, sometimes inspections and emmission testing.  Check with your local state for these restrictions.  Heres the website for Maryland DMV.

Johnny

Sorry forgot to post the website for Maryland DMV. Here it is:

http://mva.state.md.us/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://mva.state.md.us/index.html

George Woodford clc21025

Just to add to the confusion, Virginia actually refers to classic as Vintage.  I recall they referred to the term classic in the past, but now it appears they are referring to it as vintage.  We now have antique, classic, vintage, and for MD, historic.  I wonder what other states call these aged Cadillac wonders.

Johnny

Quote from: George Woodford clc21025Just to add to the confusion, Virginia actually refers to classic as Vintage.  I recall they referred to the term classic in the past, but now it appears they are referring to it as vintage.  We now have antique, classic, vintage, and for MD, historic.  I wonder what other states call these aged Cadillac wonders.

It appears that Virginia has a cottage industry with their license plates, the offer 180 different plates.

Rhino 21150

Try this site as well as the others mentioned. My dad has a 1940 5219 in Maryland, about to go through this all again. He previously had a 1938 5019 and a 1927 Buick 20. http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/department-motor-vehicles.php TARGET=_blank>http://www.dmv.org/md-maryland/department-motor-vehicles.php

Rhino 21150

Paul Anisman

Ty - One caveat with respect to locating 1937 plates for your car...make sure that you get a matched pair, or it wont fly.  I own three vehicles with antique registration in MD, and there is no inspection of any sort...safety-related or otherwise.

You may already know this from looking at the MD MVA website, but your agreement with them is that youll limit your driving to antique auto-related events.  OTOH - a good friend of mine repeatedly drives his classic Cadillac on long vacation trips, pulling an antique Airstream.  He carries a copy of the MD MVA regs with him, prepared to argue his way out of any confrontation with the law.  He has often told me that he intends to obey the MVA regs...to the full extent of their vagueness.  Thus far, no one has bothered him.
--Paul

Johnny

Quote from: Paul AnismanTy - One caveat with respect to locating 1937 plates for your car...make sure that you get a matched pair, or it wont fly.  I own three vehicles with antique registration in MD, and there is no inspection of any sort...safety-related or otherwise.

You may already know this from looking at the MD MVA website, but your agreement with them is that youll limit your driving to antique auto-related events.  OTOH - a good friend of mine repeatedly drives his classic Cadillac on long vacation trips, pulling an antique Airstream.  He carries a copy of the MD MVA regs with him, prepared to argue his way out of any confrontation with the law.  He has often told me that he intends to obey the MVA regs...to the full extent of their vagueness.  Thus far, no one has bothered him.
--Paul

Its always a nice sight to see classic cars travelling down the road looking as close to when they really did.  I just think in this day and age, one should stick as close to the rules and laws of their local DMV and insurance company.