News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40 LaSalle Upholstery?

Started by Bill Sullivan, August 03, 2005, 11:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Sullivan

Friends:

I have a 40 LaSalle 5027 coupe that has worn out its second interior. The seats in this car are now gray bedford cord and the side panels are gray broadcloth with a simple embossed pattern in the doors.

Since my interior was a restoration, I do not know for sure if it is representive of the original upholstery -- though it certainly looks reasonable. Does anyone have an original or accurate restoration they could photograph for me? There are no decent interior pictures I can use in the LaSalle, the Companion Car book, and I am not sure where to start to find this info.

Hampton Coach offers a kit for the car, but they acknowledge that they are not certain the materials or stitching for the seats are correct.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill.  

Porter 21919

Bill,

We need the pros back from the GN to help out here.

Better on this board than the general discussion (rant) board.

Porter

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

I am in the process of installing a kit from Hampton Coach/Labaron Bonney for a 1940 60S.  The materials and design are very accurate to the original pieces that I have.  They do particularly well on things like the sun visors which are very difficult to get done locally.

Warren Rauch

There is some information in the 1940 Data book. It says The Fifty is trimmed in either tan or gray ribbed broadcloth. The Special has four tan and two gray options including two tone cords, herringbone weaves, Bedford cloth and plain broadcloth. By the Special they probably mean series 52?  The pictures are of sedans ,but they show plain  paneled seats, simple side panels. I tried to copy the pictures, but ...  Ill send them anyway they might help. Warren

Bill Sullivan

Warren, thanks for that info.  If you have copies of those pix, I would sure appreciate them, either by mail or e-mail, whatever is easier.  Mailing address is 324 Hermosa SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108.

I am pretty sure the Special is the Model 52, I have heard it called that before.  My 50 has gray ribbed bedford cord only on the facing of the front and rear seats.  There are no pleats or sewn features at all, just seams forming the sides of the seat.  The seat backs use a wool looking smooth gray broadcloth like the door panels, no pattern in it either.  I have a simple pattern in the door panels on my car.

I am trying to avoid the problem of putting all that effort to install a new interior and then discovering at the next car show that the materials and patterns are not even remotely correct for the car.  Since there arent all that many LaSalle 50s on the road, it isnt too likely to happen, but I want to try to get the proper stuff before I replace whats in there.

Thanks again for your help on this.

Bill.  

Barry Wheeler #2189

The best thing is to get out your Directory and start calling members that have your car, or even a sedan/coach. Remember that only a FRACTION of our members use this site. Most of our members love to talk to anybody that will listen about their cars. Also, contact the LaSalle chapter guru. Good luck.