News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Map Pockets brown stains

Started by Michael Kelley (CLC 21521), August 03, 2005, 11:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Kelley (CLC 21521)

Hi.  I have come across several 1960 Cadillacs, usually Fleetwood models, where the seats will be perfect, yet the back map pockets develop brown spots, almost like "mold".  My question is, what is it, and how can it be cleaned.  Is the best thing to re do the map pockets with new material?  Thanks, Mike

Chris Braun

I would suggest first making sure they arent getting wet/damp, then do what you can to kill any mildew, I use lysol and then let them dry in the sun, or with dessicant.  Then use something like bleche white to clean it, that may remove some of the original coloring, and will definetely dry out the material.  Use a good cloth softener, or leather conditioner, and then re-dye with a spray dye, or even shoe polish in the proper colour.  Ive found that on my white vinyl, bleche white with a lot of clean paper towels (NOT COLORED), folowed by leather conditioner/softner, followed by white shoe polish makes for one FANTASTIC show.  People ask who did the upholstery, even though its got a couple rips and stains, and its all original.  Just wish itd work on the headliner.  Darn thing looks like yellowed newspaper, and has quite a few tears.  Oh well.

Michael Kelley

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the advice!  I will give it a try if I end up buying that car.