News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 clock

Started by JayTee, August 07, 2005, 02:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayTee

Hi

The clock in my 1940 Fleetwood convertible (7567) runs sporadically and I have been unable to find someone (who knows what theyre doing) to fix it.  I was told to make it truly reliable I should put a quartz movement in it.  But a person who specializes in such told me there was not enough room in the case to do it!  (I forgot to ask if it requires 12 volts.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

JT

Doug Houston

The clock is pretty small for a quartz movement to fit into.

As well most of us know, those clocks were fershtunken even when new. Oh, they did work for a while, but they were notoriuos for keeping lousy time at best. I know that the 41 clocks were made  by Jaeger, and Im sure that the 39-40 clocks were also. Borg made some automotive clocks and I had heard hat even Westclox made some.
 There may be some parties who can get the Jaeger clocks going, but they probably wont last for long. The movement was run by contacts making and breaking for every time you heard a tick.

All I (we) have hear ately, is replace with a quartz movement. Just keep looking, and good luck. Youll conquer the problem.

Bill Sullivan

My 40 clock as never worked, it has some strange sort of magnetic escapement that goes for an hour or two, then quits.  There is no main spring in my 40 clock.  I had a 39 Buick clock that used a mainspring with a solenoid winder.  That unit actually worked very well, only lost about 10 minutes a day.  But it did keep running, making a clunk every 10 minutes or so when it wound up.

If you get a quartz movement, get one powered with a aaa battery and you wont have to worry about the voltage anyway.  I have seen some decorative clocks and the movement is very small, you could probably adapt it yourself to the Cadillac face and hands.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

A friend of mine has a quartz movement in the clock in his car, and instead of putting the battery in the clock movement box, removed the battery section and soldered a couple of wires onto the terminals and ran a short length of wire, long enough to reach the bottom lip of the dash, and then soldered a battery holder onto the ends of the wires and now the batteries sit in place, on the ledge at the bottom of the dash, and out of sight.

When replacement of the batteries is required, then it is a simple task of just reaching under the lip, removing the holder, and replacing the batteries.

Beats having to contort oneself to get to the back of the clock to attack the batteries.

And, whats more, the clock keeps perfect time.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Barry Wheeler #2189

Try the guy in Wisconsin that advertises in Hemmings Motor News. Keep from converting the clock to quartz as long as you can. Good luck.

Don Boshara

The August 98 issue of the Self Starter had an article on how I repaired the clock in my 40. E-mail me your address and Ill mail you a copy.

baxter culver #17189

I am interested in this subject.  My 39 also has a non-functioning clock.  If a quartz conversion is available (anyone?), I would wire it into the small inverter that changes 6volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground.  I installed it to power a cigarette lighter that is used for a cell phone power source--and anything else that doesnt draw much amps.  The quartz wouldnt require much power even when the car is parked for months at a time.

T.L. (Ty) Stinson

Hello Don:
Do you know if the same clock was used in 1937? Mine is not working and I dont know how to set the time or start it. I have felt behind it and I think there is a knob on the back but it does not seem to turn the hands. Thanks. Ty CLC #22330.