News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

need help w pwr trunk pull down on 56

Started by Mike, August 08, 2005, 12:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

My previously flawless pwr trunk pull down no longer pulls down (release is OK). All I know at this point is that my pwr feed is OK.  The manual doesnt have anyyhing on troubleshooting or repair on this. I suspect it has something to do with the pressure switch not activating the motor that drives the jack screw.  Anybody had experience with this problem or knows what the likely cause/fix  could be? Thanks.

Joe Abernathy #17524

If it is like the 57 it is probably in the micro switch that activates the screw.  They are notorious for going bad.  The release is a seperate solonoid in the deck lid.  Try bypassing (jumping) the micro switch.  It will have one common and the other two are for up and down.

Mike

Do you know if its possible to take the micro switch apart? It looks like everything is held together by one large spring loaded screw (head is at the bottom of the assembly) with a nut at the top. (hard to describe - not sure if this is making sense).  Thanks.

Joe Abernathy #17524

Mike,
No there is no feasable way to rebuild the switch.  If you will send me a picture of the unit I will try to walk you thru it.

Joe

Mike

Joe:  I was going to take the part out to photograph it, but first jiggled all the wires (as I did before), but this time it started working again. None of the soldered connections look loose, and I couldnt see any breaks anywhere. I sprayed all the contacts with electrical contact cleaner, so Im just going to leave it alone for now.  What have you done on yours to get it working right?  Thanks, Mike.

John Washburn

Mike,

Generally if you can push the top mechanism to the left and it goes down the switch springs (the copper springs inside) have lost tension.

I have some luck with adding solder to the ends to bring them back up so they work.

Drop me a note if you need help.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado...

Joe Abernathy #17524

Mike,

If your solder connections look god then I would check the ground.  It may have some corrosion buildup.  A piece of sandpaper or emery cloth should do it.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Mike,

I’m hopeful the following experience I had with a ’57 having the same problem is some help.  If the ’56 and ’57 mechanisms are the same, the most likely culprit is the micro switch. In ’57 that part is a Honeywell Micro-Switch brand part number 1TB1-3.   I suggest you Goggle your local industrial electronics dealer (Radio Shack won’t carry it) and take your switch with you. If it’s not the part number I mentioned, you may be able to match it up with pictures in the catalog. Even though the switch can be disassembled, I had no luck trying to rebuild/refurbish it.

HTH,
Ralph