News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

any experiences in getting a title for a "Legit" car

Started by Joe Meneghin, August 10, 2005, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Meneghin

I figure I should get this done pretty soon.

I bought a basketcase 60 convertible last year off of ebay.  It is an honest 60 convertible, (vin tag and frame serial #s match)  I still have the contact information of the previous owner.  Im sure he will sign some notarized document for me. (if thats how it works.)

Anybody have any experiences with any vendors that do this, and if so how much approximately does this run.

Doug Houston

Ill speak for the way Michigan works, and maybe it works similarly in NJ.

Some years ago, I was given a parts car for a 77 model car I had. The previous owner gave me old registration slips with it, so I knew it was legitimate. He had lost the title. The car sat in my back yard, concealed for at least 10 years. I finally got off my dead duff and wanted to dispose of it. The previous owner was nowhere to be found, and my preference was not to attempt going through a chase anyway.

I went to the Secretary of State office, and asked if they could find MY title listing for the car from the VIN. Most, if not all states retire those records after 7 years, and I knew that, anyway. No listing. I then applied for a replacement title in my name, and was able to get it. I then disposed of the car, and all lived happily everafter.

There are as many situations of lost titles as there are owners. If your car is factually legitimate, possibly you could work out something like I did. As long as someone isnt looking for the car, youd be safe. Of course, having a bill of sale and having the previous owner get the replacement title, then transferring iot to you is the orthodox way, but what if he guy decides to get the title, then report it stolen, and get it back from you? If the car had gained market value over the years you owned it, the guy might just want to re-sell it and cash in on the value added.

When an item of appreciable value is involved, mutual trust is always risky.  

Joe M

I made a couple of phone calls yesterday,  I am actually surprised that it didnt take 100 phone calls.  

I seem to recall ads that appeared in hemmings years ago, where vendors would take care of the leg work and get you a new title from states with pretty lax rules on getting new titles (I seem to recall that Mississippi ws the one that had pretty lax rules regarding titles).  

Anyway, I looked thru hemmings and found no ads like this any more.  So I called the NJ DMV.

I got transfered around a few times and finally I got someone who sounded like she was half awake and she said to me did you buy this car off ebay?  

I said yes, and she cut me off and said in a very brooklyn italian accent, You know, ebay is a four letter word.

Apparently they must get alot of people trying to get titles for old wrecks like mine.

Short of it is, its a 14 step process and the only thing I need are photos of the car while it was  still was in 1 piece and $100.

Surprisingly, you dont even need a bill of sale or a document from the previous owner.

Thanks for the tips guys.