News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power Window Cylinders

Started by Rick Koenig, August 10, 2005, 12:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Koenig

I have been having a discussion with a friend about what keeps the power windows up in my 1952 Coupe DeVille.  My guess is that there is only a check ball that traps the pressure in the cylinder.  My friend seems to think that there is a mechanical locking mechanism that is dis-engaged when the switch is moved to the down position.

Can anyone settle this for me??  Thanks for any feedback.

Rick Koenig

JIM CLC # 15000

08-10-05
Rick, I will not bet my life on it, but I think that the windows are held in the closed position by a spring on the lift mechinisum. (the windows are forced to the down position by hyd. pressure and to the up position by the spring, I think)
HTH
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. I will check my Motors Manual and if it has a 52 system in it, will report back.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

I believe the window is held in the up postion by a closed soleniod switch at the bottom of the window cylinder.When you hit the window down position on the window switch, the solenoid is energized opening the window cylinder valve.The big window return springs pull the window down and the fluid in the cylinder is returned to the pump reservior. Normally the pump does not work during the up to down position only using the spring action to return the fluid.

Paul W Allen

Bill is Correct. I became VERY familiar with the Power Window hydraulics on my 53 last year when I replaced all the side glass.The window stays up when the cylinder is full of fluid with no place to go.Hit the switch in the down position, the cylinder solenoild opens and the spring pulls the window down.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Rick Koenig

Thanks for all the feedback.  Bills description sounds right on.

Something interesting I discovered the other day.  If someone is attempting to put one of the windows up and another person is trying to put a window down, they both in fact go UP. This makes sense when you consider that the solenoid will be open in both windows and the pump motor will be running, so it is only logical that they will both go up,  although at a slower rate than if just one window was operating.

Wouldnt NHTSA and the lawyers have fun with that one!