News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Replacing Pinion Seal

Started by Bob Laughon #18623, August 11, 2005, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Laughon #18623

Can I replace the pinion seal in a 41 diferential myself or should I have it done by a professional?  I have a couple of concerns, relating to a particular part and the torque.  1.  Many cars have a "crush sleeve" in which case it is imperative that you get the torque exactly correct to ensure that you do not damage the "crush sleeve."  Looking at parts books, however, it is not obvious that this car has such a part.  In addition I have been unable to find the torque spec. for the nut that holds the pinion in.  2.  On some cars you simply torque the nut down as tightly as you can get it, using the biggest breaker bar you can find.  If this is the case, after 64 years I may not even be able to get the nut off, even using a big breaker bar and a floor jack to turn it, much less get it back on correctly.  Any advice will be appreciated.

Bill Ingler CLC7799

Bob- Brad Ipsen, another CLC member, wrote an excellent article on replacing the seal. Rather than go into the details, if you email me I will send you a copy of what Brad sent to me. He does an excellent job with his instructions. How bad is it leaking? I have replaced the seals in both my 41 and 47 and after about 5,000 miles both have again developed leaks.I find it is a lot easier to put a drip pan under the rear for the small amout of leakage than changing seals.

John Tozer

Bill,

Was this advice specific only to 41 + or was it also applicable to earlier years? (37). If so, I would also like a copy.

Thanks,

John Tozer

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Bob,

It isnt that hard a job to replace the Pinion Seal.

With reference to the "Torque and the Crush Sleeve", the critical part of the process is that when the nut is tightened, the bearings arent tightened up too tight so that the pinion cant turn.

The Crush Sleeve is there to give pre-load to the nut and thread.   Some people add a small shim washer against the Crush Sleeve and tighten the nut up as though they were just compressing a new Crush Sleeve, but not having to go too far.

In the performance area, the Crush Sleeves are replaced by a solid spacer.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV