News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

six volt wiper motor

Started by Rhino 21150, August 16, 2005, 11:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino 21150

Is there a six volt wiper motor that will replace the vacuum motor in the 1940 La Salle? My dad is less interested in authenticity than in safety. And his vacuum motor doesnt work.

Bob Laughon #18623

LeBarron-Bonney (and others) sells a 6V electric wiper motor.  I have not bought one yet because I havent figured out how to mount it on my 41.  The screws on the 41 wiper motor, and I assume yours as well, are applied vertically while those in this electric motor are applied horizontally.  It is clear that one would have to fabricate a mount of some sort to make it work.  I posted an inquiry on this forum some time ago asking if anyone had any experience replacing a vacuum motor with an electric motor on this vintage Cadillac.  So far there have been no replies, so I assume no-one has tried this, or at least no-one that reads this forum.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

I don`t have a source for an electric motor but I do know a good source for rebuilding the vacuum motor. His name is Kent Jaquith and he is in Hemmings under Services Offered windshield wiper service. I have used him since 1987 and for about $75 you will have a good wiper motor. His wiper rebuilds have never let me down and I have been through some real frog choker storms.

Don Boshara CLC #594

My vacuum wiper motor would run good for a couple of minutes then slow down and stop. I had it rebuilt and it did the same thing. Before calling the rebuilder stupid and a thief I put a drop of lightweight oil on the shafts that come out of the transmissions that the wipers attach to.
Guess who stupid was.

baxter culver #17189

One other caution re:  fitting an electric wiper motor in the early cars (38-41).  I know that the radio is very difficult to install in the 39 cars with the wiper motor mounted.  In fact, one must loosen the mounting screws and move the wiper motor vertically in order to lift the radio into place.  careful measurments are recommended before changing to a later electric motor. Perhaps later radios are more easily fitted but the 39 unit is almost an interference fit to the wiper motor.