News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

cv joints on a 67 eldo

Started by Bill L #14869, August 17, 2005, 11:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill L #14869

Denise 20352

Not if theyre similar to the 70, which I have done, and they should be.  The Toro in 66 had ball-spline joints that were troublesome, and my understanding is both both Eldo and Toro went to the tri-pots in 67 (year of the first Eldo), and kept that design through the 70s.

Now to answer your question, the best deal is to get a rebuilt axle with the joints and boots on it.  The right axle has a torsional damper in it that can break and leave you stranded (it happened to me), so I hear that it is best to use a left axle on both sides.  You can verify this with a tape measure, but Im told that they are interchangeable.  Havent tried it, though.

First thing is to remove the bolts that secure the inner side of each axle.  You will need a 12-point wrench.  Then there is a large nut in the middle of the outer part of each wheel, with a cotter pin through it, that has to be removed.  Some people have complained that they are on tight and hard to remove.  Mine came loose easily.

Once that nut is off, you can slide the axle inward and remove it.  To ease some peoples fears, you dont have to remove or install wheel bearings.  They stay in the knuckle.  Now it has been 20 years since I did this, but as I recall, there is something that has to be removed, maybe a bracket, to get clearance to pull the left one out.

Installation is the reverse of removal, as the saying goes.  There are great instructions for doing this job in the 1964-1971 Chiltons book.

There is one problem that I had with this, and that was the 12-point bolts coming loose.  Every time I did an oil change, I had to retorque them.  Maybe some Loc-tite(tm) would work.

Hope this helps

-denise